Not too clear on the libraries available at run time

Ramon F Herrera

The later Java runtimes will not check .zip files for code
signatures. It is more reliable to use the .jar extension
consistently.

That is bound to lead to grief. If not now, then at
some point in the future. When dealing with Java
builds, it is best to stick to core SDK tools, and
Ant (which mostly invokes SDK tools).

Also, manifest files are much more reliable when
written by Ant. See the thread in which I posted this
reply, for further details..
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/a533efe8...

Thanks for the advice, Andrew! I will follow it.

-Ramon

George Neuner

How do I update the .zip file without decompressing it? I am using the
Windows-provided "send to compressed (zipped) folder".

Get a copy of Winzip - it can update files in place in the archive.
If the update is larger than the original the file will be fragmented
in the archive, but Sun Java doesn't seem to care (don't know about
others).

Winzip 11 is available from http://www.winzip.com. Older versions you
can get from http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip. Be aware
that the latest stuff is commercial and the download a trial version.

I still use Winzip 7 which is shareware and I've never encountered any
zip archive that required a later version. I don't know at which
version Winzip went commercial, but oldversion.com has them all so you
can check them out if you are feeling adventurous.

George