Not what I wanted but it almost works.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Isaac Grover, Oct 29, 2007.

  1. Isaac Grover

    Isaac Grover Guest

    Good morning,

    Here's the URL in question: http://www.qcs-rf.com/boldts/template.html

    After giving up on using css make the blue and white boxes look the same in
    FF2 and IE6, I created jpegs for the background of #specials, #options,
    #mainbody and #affiliations.

    It's almost where I want it, with a few hangups:

    1) There's a 1px horizontal white line at the bottom of #specials.
    2) A height of 1px is missing from the bottom of #options.
    3) The entire blue border is missing from the right of #mainbody.
    4) An obligatory rant about non-CSS-compliant browsers.

    If you take a look at the source of template.html, I have some inline css
    style statements that apply only to IE - do I have to resort to these
    statements for all IE-specific modifications?

    --
    Isaac Grover, Owner
    Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin

    Isaac Grover, Oct 29, 2007

  2. Isaac Grover

    rf Guest

    "Isaac Grover" <> wrote in message
    > Good morning,
    >
    > Here's the URL in question: http://www.qcs-rf.com/boldts/template.html

    You use pictures of text *without* the alt attribute for navigation. That's
    going to make the site accessible for the visually impaired, not.

    If you use real text you can also dispense with that javascript rollover
    stuff and use CSS :hover instead.

    As to the white line: divitus. Way too many divs. Plus, you are running the
    browser in quirks mode so all layout is suspect anyway.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 29, 2007

  3. Isaac Grover

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 06:10:10
    GMT Isaac Grover scribed:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > Here's the URL in question: http://www.qcs-rf.com/boldts/template.html
    >
    > After giving up on using css make the blue and white boxes look the
    > same in FF2 and IE6, I created jpegs for the background of #specials,
    > #options, #mainbody and #affiliations.
    >
    > It's almost where I want it, with a few hangups:
    >
    > 1) There's a 1px horizontal white line at the bottom of #specials.
    > 2) A height of 1px is missing from the bottom of #options.
    > 3) The entire blue border is missing from the right of #mainbody.
    > 4) An obligatory rant about non-CSS-compliant browsers.
    >
    > If you take a look at the source of template.html, I have some inline
    > css style statements that apply only to IE - do I have to resort to
    > these statements for all IE-specific modifications?

    Looks very nice. However, when I clicked on the 'gallery' link, I did not
    get a picture of a gal in plumbing bibs with her boobs hanging out. Surely
    an oversight.

    Re. source, what are the (regular) comments for? You can use conditional
    comments for ie-specific purposes (if that's the idea).

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.

    Neredbojias, Oct 29, 2007
  4. Isaac Grover

    mbstevens Guest

    rf wrote:

    > You use pictures of text *without* the alt attribute for navigation. That's
    > going to make the site accessible for the visually impaired, not.

    Indeed, and the size of, for instance, the image of the word 'Testimonials'
    is 25K! Over dialup the page took about two minutes to load.

    Oddly, the font used for these images of words is not that different
    from real text fonts that are available. The OP should just get rid
    of the image-text altogether.

    mbstevens, Oct 29, 2007
  5. Isaac Grover

    Bergamot Guest

    Isaac Grover wrote:

    > http://www.qcs-rf.com/boldts/template.html
    >
    > It's almost where I want it

    Sorry, but it doesn't "almost work". You have fixed heights for all
    those boxes. The content does not fit in them like you think. Zoom text
    up in Firefox, or set IE's text size to Larger and watch the main
    content disappear. :(

    You should also learn something about optimizing graphics, including
    when to use jpg, png or gif. Most of those jpgs would be a fraction of
    their size if they were png or gif instead.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 29, 2007