Novice Developer Errors: "Non-whitespace characters are not allowed"and IE BG image

Discussion in 'XML' started by Bouton Jones, Jan 6, 2009.

  1. Bouton Jones

    Bouton Jones Guest

    Hello,

    I'm a ColdFusion developer and HTML handcoder trying to teach myself
    XML. I've read all of _XML_ by Vander, Veer, and Mengle and chapters
    1 - 12 of _XML for Dummies_ (4th edition.) (Cost played a necessarily
    large part in choosing those books.) I'm sure I am making a obvious
    and silly mistake but despite my best efforts I have not identified a
    solution.

    MY FIRST PROBLEM: I've created a valid XML file and DTD file but I'm
    having trouble with my Schema file. The files are at
    http://www.boutonjones.com/xml/booklist_s.xml and
    http://www.boutonjones.com/xml/booklist_s.xsd respectively. The XML
    file displays fine in my various browsers but I get error messages
    when I try to validate it through the Validome and Schneegans's
    validators. (Please see
    http://www.validome.org/grammar/val...http://www.boutonjones.com/xml/booklist_s.xml
    and
    http://schneegans.de/sv/?url=http:/...automatically)&htmlcomp=(Detect automatically)
    )

    For the time being I am focusing on the Validome results. It
    generates 47 variations of this message: "Non-whitespace characters
    are not allowed in schema elements other than 'xs:appinfo' and
    'xs:documentation', but ... was found."

    Also the "<" symbol for the closing tag is marked in red and
    underlined in the "Error Position."

    I've poured over my two XML books numerous times, I've Googled the
    offending phrase, and I've read through numerous posts on this and
    similar newsgroups, but I haven't been able to isolate the solution.

    MY SECOND PROBLEM: The file at http://www.boutonjones.com/xml/booklist.xml
    looks fine in Firefox and Opera but the background does not completely
    fill the window in IE. It's the background is framed by a white
    margin. The CSS at http://www.boutonjones.com/xml/booklist.css reads
    in part:

    rootbooks
    {
    display: block;
    height: 100%;
    width: 100%;
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    background-image: url("bg02.gif");
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    background-repeat: repeat;
    margin: 0;
    color: blue;
    font-size: 14px;
    }

    I've tried changing the margins, padding, width, and height properties
    but nothing I've tried so far removes the white border.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    (My "reply to" address is rarely checked. Please post your response
    to this newsgroup or --- if you wish to reply privately --- use my
    form at http://www.boutonjones.com/email.cfm )

    Thank you for your time, attention, and help.

    Bouton Jones
    Austin, TX
    Bouton Jones, Jan 6, 2009