Novice Needs Help Editing Web Page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Clueless in Seattle, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
    sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
    it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.

    A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
    using a Geo-Cities web builder program.

    http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

    So far so good.

    Then I got an HTML book from the library and started tinkering with
    the tags. After my tinkering the Geo-Cities page builder software
    wouldn't work anymore, so I was stuck trying to maintain the page
    without a GUI interface.

    Then I became so sick I lost my job, became homeless for a year and a
    half, was finally approved for Social Security disability benefits and
    got into a public housing apartment complex.

    Over the years of my trying to maintain the page without really
    knowing what I was doing, the layout of the page has got out of my
    control, but so much time had passed that I forgot what I did exactly
    when I was making changes. I'm hoping someone in this group might be
    willing to help me get the page back into shape.

    The main problem right now is an email link that has slipped down into
    a white area so it can't be seen anymore. At least I think that's
    what's happened.

    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post HTML code in messages so I'll just
    post the first line of the item:

    <!-- "BEGIN EMAIL US" -->

    I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
    near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
    Statement." Could someone help me with that?

    Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
    inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
    white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Clueless in Seattle

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-04-15, Clueless in Seattle <> wrote:
    > I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
    > sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
    > it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.
    >
    > A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
    > using a Geo-Cities web builder program.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >
    > So far so good.

    [...]
    > The main problem right now is an email link that has slipped down into
    > a white area so it can't be seen anymore. At least I think that's
    > what's happened.

    That is just what has happened. You have <font color=#FFFFFF> around the
    email link, and it's ended up on part of the page which has a white
    background, camouflaging it perfectly.

    > I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post HTML code in messages so I'll just
    > post the first line of the item:
    >
    ><!-- "BEGIN EMAIL US" -->
    >
    > I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
    > near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
    > Statement." Could someone help me with that?

    The problem is your mission statement paragraphs go on for so long that
    there's no orange background left.

    > Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
    > inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
    > white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.

    The real problem here is that that orange strip is not really part of
    the page. It's just a background image with the page projected on top of
    it. If you're lucky things end up in the right places, but this is a
    very risky way to do things.

    The quickest fix would just be to give the email link its default
    colours. Just get rid of the <font> tag around it altogether. Then at
    least it will be visible, whether it lands on the orange bit or not.

    If you want to change things much beyond that just start again. The
    output from that web builder program you used is not pretty and no fun
    to maintain by hand.

    Ben C, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Clueless in Seattle

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Clueless in Seattle" <>
    wrote:

    > I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
    > sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
    > it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.
    >
    > A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
    > using a Geo-Cities web builder program.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >

    > I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
    > near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
    > Statement." Could someone help me with that?
    >
    > Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
    > inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
    > white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. "Clueless"

    If you want to do as little as possible because of your
    condition, just do this and the email link will always be more or
    less visible:

    Change:

    href="mailto:"><font color="#ffffff"
    face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

    href="mailto:"><font color="#000000"
    face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

    May God have mercy on my soul. May my crime be balanced by the
    motive of compassion.

    As for confining the text to the orange, that is a little bit
    more work and needs a bit of redesign.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 16, 2007
  4. dorayme wrote:

    > href="mailto:"><font color="#000000"
    > face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

    Or just:

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Clueless in Seattle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <492a5$4622b4bb$40cba7c0$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > href="mailto:"><font color="#000000"
    > > face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

    > Or just:

    Of course, you can go on and on. But you obviously don't
    understand the condition op has! My proposal was for least change
    and therefore least strain on the syndrome.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 16, 2007