Novice question on 'DetailsForm' and 'Grid'

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by info@listerhome.com, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys.

    I have been thrown into the deep end. I don't know ASP, and with my C#
    development, I haven't used data aware controls.

    I am swimming OK so far (Image uploaded completed, XML/XSL menu
    created for the Master Page) but now now I have been asked to create a
    few screens that allow updating of small tables. Basically, you select
    the category you want to end, and you're presented with a list of
    names in that category. You click one in the menu, and are presented
    with a 'GridView', which has 'Select' enabled.

    Click Select, and a 'DetailsView' is displayed with an 'Edit' and
    'Delete' button. The correct data from the selected row in the grid is
    displayed.

    Click 'Edit' and the fields become active. I edit. When I click
    'Save', things go bad. It doesn't save. Now, my code is completely
    wrong.. so it's not worth posting. But here it is anyway, to help you
    underdtand how tangled I am:

    Basically, the case tests for which 'category' is selected. The
    'Select' works fine for all categories. The update fails. Actually,
    the code below works, as I am hardcoding.

    How do I get the UpdateParameter values from the DetailsView?

    case "incidentcategory":
    {
    odsAdministrator.TypeName =
    "DAL.Data.AdministratorDSTableAdapters.DTsortCategoryTypeTableAdapter";
    odsAdministrator.SelectMethod =
    "getCategoryTypeData";
    odsAdministrator.SelectParameters.Add("ServiceId",
    "4");
    odsDetails.DataBind();

    if (DetailsView1.SelectedValue != null)
    {
    odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Clear();
    odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("Id",
    DetailsView1.SelectedValue.ToString());
    odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("ModifierId",
    "1");
    odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("Name",
    "TEST!");
    odsDetails.TypeName =
    odsAdministrator.TypeName;
    odsDetails.Update();
    }

    odsAdministrator.DataBind();
    GridView1.DataBind();
    DetailsView1.DataBind();
    break;
    }

    How should I be doing this?
    , Apr 18, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I have been thrown into the deep end. I don't know ASP, and with my C#
    > development, I haven't used data aware controls.

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
    very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
    find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
    can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
    those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 18, 2008

    Thanks!