Now here is something I hate!

Victor Bazarov

Jim said:
He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.

But every time I open a C++ file there is a few pounds of hash in there.
They literally pound the hash into me... Sometimes they use blunt tools
and sometimes sharp.

Howard

Jim Langston said:
He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.

Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}

Steven T. Hatton

Howard said:
Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}

When I went to the Pink Floyd concert in Dortmund I tried eating some. It
really wasn't all that bad. But I gave all that up years ago. Who needs
that stuff to mess up your brain when you have C++? ... Perhaps that
explains why it's so bad when mixed with C++.

Seriously, however, that one aspect of C++ has cost me far more time than
any other. That is probably by a factor or two powers of ten. I'm sure
Trolltech will come up with a better way of detecting and reporting the
errors involved, but I got bit hard by a CPP related problem while working
with a new Qt feature.

There is a macro, Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 ( plugin_name , class_name ), which is
one of three macros needed to declare, implement and identify a Qt plugin.
Sometimes the macro would expand, and sometimes it wouldn't. I spent many
hours trying to figure out what was wrong before I realized I had to
#include a particular kitchen sink header file. I still don't know why
that file was necessary. It does not contain the macro definition, and the
code compiles without it if I don't use the macro. Without the macro, it
is perfectly valid C++. The only problem is that the plugin won't be
recognized when trying to load it.

I found the file containing the actual macro definition and #included that
in my source. In one case that fixed the compile problem. But in another
case it didn't. I saw no systematic way to troubleshoot the problem beyond
trial and error. The "solution" of including a kitchen sink header file in
the implementation is still inelegant. I need to complain to Trolltech
about that.

The moral of the story is that "Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Cpp
must be destroyed. - Cato the Elder(Marcus Porcius Cato)" - Bjarne
Stroustrup.

BobR

red floyd wrote in message ...
Not if you use the

#corned_beef

directive

....and you should be sitting at a hashtable [1] when you do that!! <G>

[1] ..../backward/hashtable.h on MinGW(GCC)