Now here is something I hate!

Discussion in 'C++' started by Steven T. Hatton, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. #
    Steven T. Hatton, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Steven T. Hatton

    Old Wolf Guest

    Steven T. Hatton wrote:
    > #

    You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?
    Old Wolf, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Steven T. Hatton

    Jim Langston Guest

    "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > Steven T. Hatton wrote:
    >> #

    > You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.
    Jim Langston, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Jim Langston wrote:
    > "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
    >>> #

    >> You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    > He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.

    But every time I open a C++ file there is a few pounds of hash in there.
    They literally pound the hash into me... Sometimes they use blunt tools
    and sometimes sharp.
    Victor Bazarov, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Steven T. Hatton

    Howard Guest

    "Jim Langston" <> wrote in message
    > "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
    >>> #

    >> You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    > He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.

    Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}
    Howard, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Steven T. Hatton

    red floyd Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > "Jim Langston" <> wrote in message
    >> "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>> You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    >> He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.
    >>

    > Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}

    Not if you use the

    #corned_beef

    directive
    red floyd, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Howard wrote:

    > "Jim Langston" <> wrote in message
    >> "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    >> He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.
    >>

    > Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}

    When I went to the Pink Floyd concert in Dortmund I tried eating some. It
    really wasn't all that bad. But I gave all that up years ago. Who needs
    that stuff to mess up your brain when you have C++? ... Perhaps that
    explains why it's so bad when mixed with C++.

    Seriously, however, that one aspect of C++ has cost me far more time than
    any other. That is probably by a factor or two powers of ten. I'm sure
    Trolltech will come up with a better way of detecting and reporting the
    errors involved, but I got bit hard by a CPP related problem while working
    with a new Qt feature.

    There is a macro, Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 ( plugin_name , class_name ), which is
    one of three macros needed to declare, implement and identify a Qt plugin.
    Sometimes the macro would expand, and sometimes it wouldn't. I spent many
    hours trying to figure out what was wrong before I realized I had to
    #include a particular kitchen sink header file. I still don't know why
    that file was necessary. It does not contain the macro definition, and the
    code compiles without it if I don't use the macro. Without the macro, it
    is perfectly valid C++. The only problem is that the plugin won't be
    recognized when trying to load it.

    I found the file containing the actual macro definition and #included that
    in my source. In one case that fixed the compile problem. But in another
    case it didn't. I saw no systematic way to troubleshoot the problem beyond
    trial and error. The "solution" of including a kitchen sink header file in
    the implementation is still inelegant. I need to complain to Trolltech
    about that.

    The moral of the story is that "Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Cpp
    must be destroyed. - Cato the Elder(Marcus Porcius Cato)" - Bjarne
    Stroustrup.
    --
    NOUN:1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will. 2. Something handed
    down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of
    Steven T. Hatton, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Steven T. Hatton

    BobR Guest

    red floyd wrote in message ...
    >Howard wrote:
    >> "Jim Langston" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>> He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.
    >>>

    >> Eat it? Well, THERE's the problem... you're supposed to smoke it! :-}
    >>

    >Not if you use the
    >
    >#corned_beef
    >
    >directive

    ....and you should be sitting at a hashtable [1] when you do that!! <G>

    [1] ..../backward/hashtable.h on MinGW(GCC)
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie
    BobR, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Steven T. Hatton

    Marcus Kwok Guest

    red floyd <> wrote:
    > Not if you use the
    >
    > #corned_beef
    >
    > directive

    This directive is most effective when placed near

    #browns

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply
    Marcus Kwok, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Marcus Kwok wrote:

    > red floyd <> wrote:
    >
    >>Not if you use the
    >>
    >>#corned_beef
    >>
    >>directive

    > This directive is most effective when placed near
    >
    > #browns

    But I like them next to the potatoes!

    Best, Dan.
    Dan Bloomquist, Nov 14, 2006
  11. Steven T. Hatton

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Jim Langston wrote:
    > "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > > Steven T. Hatton wrote:
    > >> #

    > > You hate blank messages? or you hate the hash symbol?

    > He hates hash. A lot of people do I guess. Well, don't eat it then.

    I see the problem. You're supposed to smoke that stuff...not eat it.
    Noah Roberts, Nov 14, 2006