    http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    Thanks for all of your help. It's been greatly appreciated.

    DC
    Montgomery BOO...URNS, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Nicknamezj Guest

    use the <span> tag. div and p are both block tags. a block tag never
    goes in a block tag. (like you would never put a <p> in a <h1> ). But
    span is not a block tag there for you may use it in a <p>.

    Also, use all lowercase in your html, it's one of the rules of xhtml.

    If you have any Q's about CSS feel free to email me.

    ~Nick
    Nicknamezj, Aug 18, 2005

  3. On 18/08/2005 19:52, Nicknamezj wrote:

    Correct.

    > If you must need on inside of one use the <span> tag.

    That seems dubious advice. In the various instances, either the DIV or P
    element should be removed entirely. The OP also marks-up a list using
    forced line-breaks, rather than a UL element.

    > div and p are both block tags.

    Yes, they are...

    > a block tag never goes in a block tag.

    ....but that's nonsense. A FORM element, for instance, requires either
    another block-level element or a SCRIPT for content. Moreover, a
    paragraph inside a DIV element is perfectly reasonable, and quite common
    where the DIV is used to group content.

    > (like you would never put a <p> in a <h1> ).

    That's because, like paragraphs, the content model for heading elements
    allows in-line elements only.

    [snip]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Ed Jay Guest

    Michael Winter <> wrote:

    >On 18/08/2005 19:52, Nicknamezj wrote:

    >Correct.
    >
    >> If you must need on inside of one use the <span> tag.

    >That seems dubious advice. In the various instances, either the DIV or P
    >element should be removed entirely. The OP also marks-up a list using
    >forced line-breaks, rather than a UL element.
    >
    >> div and p are both block tags.

    >Yes, they are...
    >
    >> a block tag never goes in a block tag.

    >...but that's nonsense. A FORM element, for instance, requires either
    >another block-level element or a SCRIPT for content. Moreover, a
    >paragraph inside a DIV element is perfectly reasonable, and quite common
    >where the DIV is used to group content.
    >
    >> (like you would never put a <p> in a <h1> ).

    >That's because, like paragraphs, the content model for heading elements
    >allows in-line elements only.

    What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)
    Ed Jay, Aug 18, 2005
  5. On 18/08/2005 22:12, Ed Jay wrote:

    [snip]

    > What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

    Did you try it, and did it validate?

    Yes, you can nest DIV elements, though that can lead to DIV soup if you
    start using DIV elements just because you're able.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Montgomery BOO...URNS

    Ed Jay Guest

    Michael Winter <> wrote:

    >On 18/08/2005 22:12, Ed Jay wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

    >Did you try it, and did it validate?

    Tried and validated OK.

    >Yes, you can nest DIV elements, though that can lead to DIV soup if you
    >start using DIV elements just because you're able.

    Too much of a good thing... :)

    The issue arises for me when I want to center multiple floating boxes.

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)
    Ed Jay, Aug 20, 2005