Now take a look...

Montgomery BOO...URNS

Hello folks:

Well, I have considered all the advice that has been given to me over the
course of the last few months and I broke down and started learning CSS
coding. Take a look at the following website and let me know what, if
anything, can be improved (codewise) here...

http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

Thanks for all of your help. It's been greatly appreciated.

DC

Nicknamezj

use the <span> tag. div and p are both block tags. a block tag never
goes in a block tag. (like you would never put a <p> in a <h1> ). But
span is not a block tag there for you may use it in a <p>.

Also, use all lowercase in your html, it's one of the rules of xhtml.

If you have any Q's about CSS feel free to email me.

~Nick
(e-mail address removed)

Michael Winter

Correct.

If you must need on inside of one use the <span> tag.

That seems dubious advice. In the various instances, either the DIV or P
element should be removed entirely. The OP also marks-up a list using
forced line-breaks, rather than a UL element.
div and p are both block tags.

Yes, they are...
a block tag never goes in a block tag.

....but that's nonsense. A FORM element, for instance, requires either
another block-level element or a SCRIPT for content. Moreover, a
paragraph inside a DIV element is perfectly reasonable, and quite common
where the DIV is used to group content.
(like you would never put a <p> in a <h1> ).

That's because, like paragraphs, the content model for heading elements
allows in-line elements only.

[snip]

Mike

Ed Jay

Michael Winter said:
That seems dubious advice. In the various instances, either the DIV or P
element should be removed entirely. The OP also marks-up a list using
forced line-breaks, rather than a UL element.

Yes, they are...

...but that's nonsense. A FORM element, for instance, requires either
another block-level element or a SCRIPT for content. Moreover, a
paragraph inside a DIV element is perfectly reasonable, and quite common
where the DIV is used to group content.

That's because, like paragraphs, the content model for heading elements
allows in-line elements only.
What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Michael Winter

On 18/08/2005 22:12, Ed Jay wrote:

[snip]
What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

Did you try it, and did it validate?

Yes, you can nest DIV elements, though that can lead to DIV soup if you
start using DIV elements just because you're able.

Mike

Ed Jay

Michael Winter said:
On 18/08/2005 22:12, Ed Jay wrote:

[snip]
What about nested <div> tags, e.g.,

Did you try it, and did it validate?

Tried and validated OK.
Yes, you can nest DIV elements, though that can lead to DIV soup if you
start using DIV elements just because you're able.
Too much of a good thing... :)

The issue arises for me when I want to center multiple floating boxes.

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)