Now take a look...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Parnell, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, "Montgomery BOO...URNS" <>
    said:

    > http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    Well, the CSS validates, which is good. A couple of warnings there -
    worth fixing up.

    The HTML is not valid though, with 16 errors. All fairly trivial to fix
    though.

    Given that it is a new site, it really should be written using the
    Strict doctype, not Transitional. Replace all those presentational
    elements and attributes with CSS and make it Strict.

    I can't see any need for tables on that page.

    What's the applet for? It doesn't show up at all in Firefox.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Mark Parnell

    Ed Jay Guest

    "Montgomery BOO...URNS" <> wrote:

    >Hello folks:
    >
    >Well, I have considered all the advice that has been given to me over the
    >course of the last few months and I broke down and started learning CSS
    >coding. Take a look at the following website and let me know what, if
    >anything, can be improved (codewise) here...
    >
    >http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    I'm just learning this stuff too.

    When I use:
    and try to validate the page, I get an error message telling me that
    <center> is deprecated. But, when I validated your page, I only got the
    error that you had no ending tag for your <center><div>...

    Where have I gone wrong?

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    Ed Jay wrote:

    > "Montgomery BOO...URNS" <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    > When I use:
    > and try to validate the page, I get an error message telling me that
    > <center> is deprecated. But, when I validated your page, I only got the
    > error that you had no ending tag for your <center><div>...
    >
    > Where have I gone wrong?

    You haven't gone wrong.
    The OP is just using a transitional doctype. That doctype is meant for
    documents which are "in transition". It allows for deprecated
    elements, to make it easier on the person who is editing the page I
    guess :)
    New documents are best written in Strict, which doesn't allow for
    deprecated heritage from old webpages.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Mark Parnell

    Ed Jay Guest

    Els <> wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:
    >
    >> "Montgomery BOO...URNS" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    >> When I use:
    >> and try to validate the page, I get an error message telling me that
    >> <center> is deprecated. But, when I validated your page, I only got the
    >> error that you had no ending tag for your <center><div>...
    >>
    >> Where have I gone wrong?

    >You haven't gone wrong.
    >The OP is just using a transitional doctype. That doctype is meant for
    >documents which are "in transition". It allows for deprecated
    >elements, to make it easier on the person who is editing the page I
    >guess :)
    >New documents are best written in Strict, which doesn't allow for
    >deprecated heritage from old webpages.

    Thanks, although I don't know if I feel better. :)

    I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to center text or boxes.

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Hello folks:

    Well, I have considered all the advice that has been given to me over the
    course of the last few months and I broke down and started learning CSS
    coding. Take a look at the following website and let me know what, if
    anything, can be improved (codewise) here...

    http://www.shobers.com/home.htm (still under construction)

    Thanks for all of your help. It's been greatly appreciated.

    DC

    Montgomery BOO...URNS, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Mark Parnell

    Ed Jay Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >Previously in alt.html, Ed Jay <> said:
    >
    >> I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to center text or boxes.

    >http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/

    Thanks, Mark. That was a great help.

    Allow me to impose and ask another question. I'm trying to center a box
    with text aligned both left and right. Example:
    Test1 Test2

    I defined a simple box as:

    ..menu {
    border: 1px solid black;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    width: 300px;
    }

    The code on my page is:

    style="text-align:right;">Test2</div></div>

    The result is:

    Test1
    Test2

    Why?

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    Ed Jay wrote:

    > Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>Previously in alt.html, Ed Jay <> said:
    >>
    >>> I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to center text or boxes.

    >>http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/

    > Thanks, Mark. That was a great help.
    >
    > Allow me to impose and ask another question. I'm trying to center a box
    > with text aligned both left and right. Example:
    > Test1 Test2
    >
    > I defined a simple box as:
    >
    > .menu {
    > border: 1px solid black;
    > margin-left: auto;
    > margin-right: auto;
    > width: 300px;
    > }
    >
    > The code on my page is:

    > style="text-align:right;">Test2</div></div>
    >
    > The result is:
    >
    > Test1
    > Test2
    >
    > Why?

    Because ...
    Well, add a visible border to each div, and you will know :)

    To make it work, you should float the first one left, and give it 50%
    width (probably a bit less to make it work in other browsers too), and
    give the second one a left margin of 50%.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Mark Parnell

    Ed Jay Guest

    Els <> wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >>>http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/

    >> Thanks, Mark. That was a great help.
    >>
    >> Allow me to impose and ask another question. I'm trying to center a box
    >> with text aligned both left and right. Example:
    >> Test1 Test2
    >>
    >> I defined a simple box as:
    >>
    >> .menu {
    >> border: 1px solid black;
    >> margin-left: auto;
    >> margin-right: auto;
    >> width: 300px;
    >> }
    >>
    >> The code on my page is:

    >> style="text-align:right;">Test2</div></div>
    >>
    >> The result is:
    >>
    >> Test1
    >> Test2
    >>
    >> Why?

    >Because ...
    >Well, add a visible border to each div, and you will know :)
    >
    >To make it work, you should float the first one left, and give it 50%
    >width (probably a bit less to make it work in other browsers too), and
    >give the second one a left margin of 50%.

    Thank you again. I'm going to have to translate what you've said into code
    I understand, but it's 1:30AM and I can't focus my eyes any longer. It's
    obviously past my bedtime. :)

    Thank you.

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    Ed Jay wrote:

    > Els <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ed Jay wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Mark. That was a great help.
    >>>
    >>> Allow me to impose and ask another question. I'm trying to center a box
    >>> with text aligned both left and right. Example:
    >>> Test1 Test2
    >>>
    >>> I defined a simple box as:
    >>>
    >>> .menu {
    >>> border: 1px solid black;
    >>> margin-left: auto;
    >>> margin-right: auto;
    >>> width: 300px;
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> The code on my page is:

    >>> style="text-align:right;">Test2</div></div>
    >>>
    >>> The result is:
    >>>
    >>> Test1
    >>> Test2
    >>>
    >>> Why?

    >>Because ...
    >>Well, add a visible border to each div, and you will know :)
    >>
    >>To make it work, you should float the first one left, and give it 50%
    >>width (probably a bit less to make it work in other browsers too), and
    >>give the second one a left margin of 50%.

    > Thank you again. I'm going to have to translate what you've said into code
    > I understand, but it's 1:30AM and I can't focus my eyes any longer. It's
    > obviously past my bedtime. :)

    You're in Australia? (or Japan?) Go to bed! The European crew will
    take over from here, your turn will come again ;-)

    Sleep well :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Mark Parnell

    rf Guest

    Els wrote:

    > You're in Australia? (or Japan?) Go to bed! The European crew will
    > take over from here, your turn will come again ;-)

    What? The wife would say "What the bloody hell do you think YOU are up to?".

    It's only 7pm here in .au. We aren't even on to our second rum&coke.

    > Sleep well :)

    In a couple or 5 hours, yes :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 18, 2005
  12. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> You're in Australia? (or Japan?) Go to bed! The European crew will
    >> take over from here, your turn will come again ;-)

    > What? The wife would say "What the bloody hell do you think YOU are up to?".

    What, she won't let you go to bed early when you're tired? ;-)

    > It's only 7pm here in .au. We aren't even on to our second rum&coke.
    >
    >> Sleep well :)

    > In a couple or 5 hours, yes :)

    Okay, so I was too lazy to look up Day Light Saving zones for
    Australia to see if 9 hours difference with me would be far away
    enough to be Australia...
    Thinking again: it's summer here, so it must be winter where you are,
    so the Day Light Saving adds two hours to the 'normal' time
    difference, instead of subtracting them.

    /looks up timetable with DLS times...

    Right! Phoenix, Arizona is closer to the 9 hrs difference...
    <thought dawning on me>
    I guess I also was calculating in the wrong direction - Aussiland is
    ahead of us, not behind us.. (which doesn't make matter when the time
    difference is 12 hours, but it does when it is 9 hours <g>)
    </>

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  13. Mark Parnell

    rf Guest

    Els wrote:

    > > What? The wife would say "What the bloody hell do you think YOU are up

    to?".

    > What, she won't let you go to bed early when you're tired? ;-)

    Er, she was *in* it at the time, having a power nap before dinner.

    <snip time confusion>

    > Thinking again: it's summer here, so it must be winter where you are,

    Not that you would notice. A balmy 22 degrees here today.

    > I guess I also was calculating in the wrong direction - Aussiland is
    > ahead of us, not behind us..

    Australia is ahead of Everybody (except .nz of course but they don't count
    :) )

    Makes it easier for us. Everybody else is behind. .uk 10 (UTC that is), .nl
    9 .us somewhere between 18 and infinity...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 18, 2005
  14. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >>> What? The wife would say "What the bloody hell do you think YOU
    >>> are up to?".

    >> What, she won't let you go to bed early when you're tired? ;-)

    > Er, she was *in* it at the time, having a power nap before dinner.

    LOL - that explains her reaction perfectly, yes :)

    >> Thinking again: it's summer here, so it must be winter where you are,

    > Not that you would notice. A balmy 22 degrees here today.

    I wish we had winters like that :\

    [time zones]
    > Everybody else is behind. .uk 10 (UTC that is), .nl 9

    See? I wan't wrong about the 9 hours, just about the direction :)

    > .us somewhere between 18 and infinity...

    Makes me wonder: how come the USA haven't managed to turn the tables
    and make themselves be first timewise... :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  15. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >> rf wrote:

    >>> Not that you would notice. A balmy 22 degrees here today.

    >> I wish we had winters like that :\

    > Don't ask about the summer temperature :-D

    Why not? I don't mind heat.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  16. Els wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >>>I wish we had winters like that :\

    >>Don't ask about the summer temperature :-D

    > Why not? I don't mind heat.

    In the northern/southern part is the it about 30 degrees.
    In central it's about 40 degrees in the shadow (Cooper pedy).
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website

    Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 18, 2005
  17. Mark Parnell

    rf Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > In the northern/southern part is the it about 30 degrees.
    > In central it's about 40 degrees in the shadow (Cooper pedy).

    But... nobody goes out there :)

    Here in Sydney its usually 30. Rarely above 40, well, 45.

    Anyway, in the outback a 45 degree day is not so bad as it is usually 0%
    humidity. Not like on the coast where a 38 degree 90% humiditiy day calls
    for a pause in work and drinks all round...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 18, 2005
  18. Mark Parnell

    Els Guest

    rf wrote:

    > a pause in work and drinks all round...

    I don't mind those either ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Aug 18, 2005
  19. rf wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >>In the northern/southern part is the it about 30 degrees.
    >>In central it's about 40 degrees in the shadow (Cooper pedy).

    > But... nobody goes out there :)

    Yeah you're right. Every one lives under ground in Cooper.
    How about Alice Springs or Tennant Creek.

    Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 18, 2005
  20. Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 18, 2005