Now what? My html code doesn't work. Help?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by now@wh.at, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Can some one tell me what has happened? And what I can do to make my
    html file run again? It worked two weeks ago, and now I want to
    continue writing the html code for other stuff.

    I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
    Netscape to execute:

    <h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
    href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
    needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>

    and another line of html code:

    <a href="Pics in Printable Format\(1) Document 1 .sxw">
    Pages 1 - 7</a>

    When I click on the 'here' in the Netscape page, I get a window saying
    Netscape does not know what to execute (for the com file). When I
    click on the second item above, it says the same thing (for the sxw
    file). The .sxw file does exist where it always is by the way, and
    when I double-click on that file name (in Windows Explorer) it
    executes 'Open-Office' just fine (to show the document).

    As I said, it worked two weeks ago!

    Dang!
     
    , Feb 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wrote:
    > I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
    > Netscape to execute:
    >
    > <h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
    > href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
    > needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>


    Why do you have a paragraph in a heading? Why are you using "here" as
    link text?

    > and another line of html code:
    >
    > <a href="Pics in Printable Format\(1) Document 1 .sxw">
    > Pages 1 - 7</a>
    >
    > When I click on the 'here' in the Netscape page, I get a window saying
    > Netscape does not know what to execute (for the com file). When I
    > click on the second item above, it says the same thing (for the sxw
    > file). The .sxw file does exist where it always is by the way, and
    > when I double-click on that file name (in Windows Explorer) it
    > executes 'Open-Office' just fine (to show the document).


    Configure your browser to know what to do with those files. It's that
    simple.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wrote:

    > Can some one tell me what has happened? And what I can do to make my
    > html file run again? It worked two weeks ago, and now I want to
    > continue writing the html code for other stuff.
    >
    > I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
    > Netscape to execute:
    >
    > <h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
    > href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
    > needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>
    >
    > and another line of html code:
    >
    > <a href="Pics in Printable Format\(1) Document 1 .sxw">
    > Pages 1 - 7</a>
    >
    > When I click on the 'here' in the Netscape page, I get a window saying
    > Netscape does not know what to execute (for the com file). When I
    > click on the second item above, it says the same thing (for the sxw
    > file). The .sxw file does exist where it always is by the way, and
    > when I double-click on that file name (in Windows Explorer) it
    > executes 'Open-Office' just fine (to show the document).
    >
    > As I said, it worked two weeks ago!
    >
    > Dang!


    Well, I think you will have to alter your browsers' MIME settings if you
    want it to run yourself, but I dont think there's many people who set
    their browser to automatically run programs when you click on a link.

    does right clicking and opening not work?

    what's the page URL?
     
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 13, 2004
    #3
  4. Guest

    Re: Re: Now what? My html code doesn't work. Help?

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:37:03 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
    <> wrote:

    >Why do you have a paragraph in a heading? Why are you using "here" as
    >link text?


    I'm sorry - I abbreviated the line for this post. The html line
    really begins:

    <h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
    href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com"><font
    color="red">here............. etc. And of course if one clicks on
    'here' he should do the install. Used to work!

    >Configure your browser to know what to do with those files. It's that
    >simple.


    I'll check that out.
    Thanks
     
    , Feb 13, 2004
    #4
  5. Guest

    Re: Re: Now what? My html code doesn't work. Help?

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:46:59 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> wrote:

    >
    >Well, I think you will have to alter your browsers' MIME settings if you
    >want it to run yourself, but I dont think there's many people who set
    >their browser to automatically run programs when you click on a link.


    Hmmm - you may be right. Might have to make another choice to get a
    page of executables.
    >
    >does right clicking and opening not work?


    No
    >
    >what's the page URL?


    GenealogyPics.htm
     
    , Feb 13, 2004
    #5
  6. wrote:
    > I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
    > Netscape to execute:


    HTML files actually have no power to "activate Netscape" (or any
    other browser)... maybe your operating system activates Netscape when
    you launch an HTML file, if it's your default browser, but in fact
    what happens is that Netscape loads and renders the HTML code, not
    that the HTML code launches and executes Netscape.

    > <h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
    > href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
    > needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>


    You're intending a browser to launch an executable (MS-DOS-style .com
    file) from a Web link? Very risky security-wise, and I don't think
    Netscape/Mozilla is set up to do it.

    > and another line of html code:
    >
    > <a href="Pics in Printable Format\(1) Document 1 .sxw">
    > Pages 1 - 7</a>


    That's an invalid URI... spaces are invalid unless escaped as %20,
    and is that backslash intended as a hierarchical delimiter between
    directory levels? If so, it should be a forward slash (which is
    always used in URIs regardless of the local operating system
    conventions).

    --
    Dan
    Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
     
    Daniel R. Tobias, Feb 13, 2004
    #6
  7. >>does right clicking and opening not work?
    >
    >
    > No
    >
    >>what's the page URL?

    >
    >
    > GenealogyPics.htm
    >


    .... and the rest of the URL, the www.isp.com/ bit... :))
     
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 17, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. MZ
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    874
    Ed Mullen
    Mar 17, 2008
  2. Bobby Edward
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    750
    Bobby Edward
    Jan 9, 2009
  3. David
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    631
    Allen Chen [MSFT]
    Jun 8, 2009
  4. Colin Colin
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    234
    Colin Colin
    Aug 28, 2004
  5. John Ladasky
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    910
    John Ladasky
    Dec 21, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page