Now what? My html code doesn't work. Help?

now

Can some one tell me what has happened? And what I can do to make my
html file run again? It worked two weeks ago, and now I want to
continue writing the html code for other stuff.

I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
Netscape to execute:

<h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>

and another line of html code:

Pages 1 - 7</a>

When I click on the 'here' in the Netscape page, I get a window saying
Netscape does not know what to execute (for the com file). When I
click on the second item above, it says the same thing (for the sxw
file). The .sxw file does exist where it always is by the way, and
when I double-click on that file name (in Windows Explorer) it
executes 'Open-Office' just fine (to show the document).

As I said, it worked two weeks ago!

Dang!

Leif K-Brooks

I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
Netscape to execute:

<h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>

Why do you have a paragraph in a heading? Why are you using "here" as
link text?
and another line of html code:

Pages 1 - 7</a>

When I click on the 'here' in the Netscape page, I get a window saying
Netscape does not know what to execute (for the com file). When I
click on the second item above, it says the same thing (for the sxw
file). The .sxw file does exist where it always is by the way, and
when I double-click on that file name (in Windows Explorer) it
executes 'Open-Office' just fine (to show the document).

Configure your browser to know what to do with those files. It's that
simple.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

[...]

Well, I think you will have to alter your browsers' MIME settings if you
want it to run yourself, but I dont think there's many people who set
their browser to automatically run programs when you click on a link.

does right clicking and opening not work?

what's the page URL?

young

Why do you have a paragraph in a heading? Why are you using "here" as
link text?

I'm sorry - I abbreviated the line for this post. The html line
really begins:

<h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com"><font
color="red">here............. etc. And of course if one clicks on
'here' he should do the install. Used to work!
Configure your browser to know what to do with those files. It's that
simple.

I'll check that out.
Thanks

young

Well, I think you will have to alter your browsers' MIME settings if you
want it to run yourself, but I dont think there's many people who set
their browser to automatically run programs when you click on a link.

Hmmm - you may be right. Might have to make another choice to get a
page of executables.
does right clicking and opening not work?
No

what's the page URL?

GenealogyPics.htm

Daniel R. Tobias

I had the following line of html code in a .html file that activated
Netscape to execute:

HTML files actually have no power to "activate Netscape" (or any
other browser)... maybe your operating system activates Netscape when
you launch an HTML file, if it's your default browser, but in fact
what happens is that Netscape loads and renders the HTML code, not
that the HTML code launches and executes Netscape.
<h2><p>Step 1 - Click <a
href="Open-Office-Installation/setup.com">here</a> to Install PROGRAM
needed for Step 2 (one-time ONLY)</p></h2>

You're intending a browser to launch an executable (MS-DOS-style .com
file) from a Web link? Very risky security-wise, and I don't think
Netscape/Mozilla is set up to do it.
and another line of html code:

Pages 1 - 7</a>

That's an invalid URI... spaces are invalid unless escaped as %20,
and is that backslash intended as a hierarchical delimiter between
directory levels? If so, it should be a forward slash (which is
always used in URIs regardless of the local operating system
conventions).