    width in px or ems. Seem to have forgotten or don't know?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 25, 2006

  2. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, dorayme
    <> vouchsafed:

    > nowrap is deprecated in HTML 4.01 What are folk using to achieve
    > the same effect in a table cell for some text; for example, a
    > column of phone numbers that one does not want wrapped. I think I
    > am asking if there is any specific equivalent rather than any
    > workarounds like 08&nbsp;531&nbsp;5555 or giving plenty of cell
    > width in px or ems. Seem to have forgotten or don't know?

    Css.

    td {
    white-space:nowrap;

    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 25, 2006

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns97AFCDD6915F2httpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251>,
    Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, dorayme
    > <> vouchsafed:
    >
    > > nowrap is deprecated in HTML 4.01 What are folk using to achieve
    > > the same effect in a table cell for some text; ....

    > td {
    > white-space:nowrap;
    > }

    Yes, thanks...

    (I was not finding it in my index of the HTML version of the css
    standard - some such address as /css2Standards/indexlist.html on
    my local copy. It was under w and then 'white-space' And becoming
    impatient... I now realise there are better ways to search. It is
    always easier to solve a puzzle if you know there is a solution.)

    OK Boji, I have had a word with Officer White and he is going to
    give you a slightly easier treatment.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 25, 2006
  4. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, dorayme
    <> vouchsafed:

    > In article <Xns97AFCDD6915F2httpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251>,
    > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, dorayme
    >> <> vouchsafed:
    >>
    >> > nowrap is deprecated in HTML 4.01 What are folk using to achieve
    >> > the same effect in a table cell for some text; ....

    >> td {
    >> white-space:nowrap;
    >> }

    > Yes, thanks...

    'Welcome, maam.

    > (I was not finding it in my index of the HTML version of the css
    > standard - some such address as /css2Standards/indexlist.html on
    > my local copy. It was under w and then 'white-space' And becoming
    > impatient... I now realise there are better ways to search. It is
    > always easier to solve a puzzle if you know there is a solution.)

    True, and it's not always so easy to find things in the css spec, anyway.
    If it isn't indexed, shalzbut!

    > OK Boji, I have had a word with Officer White and he is going to
    > give you a slightly easier treatment.

    Officer White
    Gives me no fright
    For I can run
    Like a son-of-a-gun.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 25, 2006
  5. dorayme

    Toby Inkster Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > nowrap is deprecated in HTML 4.01 What are folk using to achieve
    > the same effect in a table cell for some text

    As Neredbojias said, "white-space:nowrap". *However* remember CSS is for
    optional presentational niceties -- if your non-breaking space is
    important to you (and your users), then use "&nbsp;".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > As Neredbojias said, "white-space:nowrap". *However* remember CSS is for
    > optional presentational niceties -- if your non-breaking space is
    > important to you (and your users), then use "&nbsp;".

    And don't consider it a workaround - its pretty much what non-breaking
    spaces were designed for.
    David Dorward, Apr 25, 2006
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5n.co.uk>,
    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > nowrap is deprecated in HTML 4.01 What are folk using to achieve
    > > the same effect in a table cell for some text

    > As Neredbojias said, "white-space:nowrap". *However* remember CSS is for
    > optional presentational niceties -- if your non-breaking space is
    > important to you (and your users), then use "&nbsp;".

    Well, I suppose, if I was to bet, I would say "optional
    presentational" was odds on in my case. There are even advantages
    to a phone number wrapping - to take one of my cases - like
    putting off the time a horiz scrol bar will appear. But, on the
    other hand, I prefer, and probably most others would prefer,
    other things in the row to wrap instead, like addresses.

    I have many tables of information that fill whole pages. They
    look just as beautiful now as they did before. There are many
    different techniques to be considered. I am ashamed to mention
    the one I actually used - alt.html has given me a conscience and
    it preyed on it till the pressure forced a change. I used to have
    a swashbuckling nature and you lot have killed my spirit.

    I recently did stick &nbsp; between things like phone number
    parts (08&nbsp;&nbsp;5375&nbsp;9486) and no need for col width of
    any kind. A refinement being to just do it to one phone number
    (any one in the col will do) and the rest of the 8 digit numbers
    on each row never wrap, the one that has been set via &nbsp;
    forces the issue all on it own because of <g> the magic of
    tables</g>.

    Then I thought, no, surely nowrap. This I have done in one little
    line in a css sheet to a class. One (any) item in the col of
    phone numbers (to take a case) gets the class and this forces the
    width for the rest. I was well pleased and feeling very goody
    goody and then you come along and throw a doubt in the works!

    But you now make me reflect on what is an important (not at all
    optional presentational) need for no wrapping. If a picture
    wrapped, it would be important to tell it to nowrap because where
    would one put in &nbsp;? True, this is silly. OK, thinking
    further aloud, an important use of no breaking space?

    I remember an interesting thread a while ago about an h1 and a
    need to break (and go into smaller text on the next line - I
    think?). A sort of mirror image of the issue here in a way. And
    was a bit miffed about the fundamentals behind it though it was
    clear enough what to do in practice.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 26, 2006