NSGMLS ??

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Dec 20, 2011.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",

    I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
    defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
    However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
    finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    If you can't remember the name of some method,
    consider changing it to something you can remember.
    Roedy Green, Dec 20, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Roedy Green

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
    >
    > I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
    > defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
    > However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
    > finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?


    "Noel" Sing Good Men, Lifting Spirits.

    Google has "about 35,300" other guesses ...

    --
    Eric Sosman
    d
    Eric Sosman, Dec 20, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Roedy Green

    Lew Guest

    On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:09:48 AM UTC-8, Eric Sosman wrote:
    > On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > > "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
    > >
    > > I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
    > > defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
    > > However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
    > > finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?

    >
    > "Noel" Sing Good Men, Lifting Spirits.
    >
    > Google has "about 35,300" other guesses ...


    The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 20, 2011
    #3
  4. Roedy Green

    Michael Jung Guest

    Lew <> writes:
    >> On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> > "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
    >> >
    >> > I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
    >> > defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
    >> > However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
    >> > finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?

    [...]
    > The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS


    That doesn't explain the acronym (At least I couldn't find it in the
    text). Since it's James Clark's software, you should probably ask him
    for an "authoritive" explanation. From the text I assume "N = New" and
    (trailing) "S = System".

    Michael
    Michael Jung, Dec 20, 2011
    #4
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    >The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS


    I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
    you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
    tell you.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    If you can't remember the name of some method,
    consider changing it to something you can remember.
    Roedy Green, Dec 20, 2011
    #5
  6. On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:13:43 -0800, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    >wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >>
    >>The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    >>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

    >
    >I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
    >you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
    >tell you.


    What about "TWAIN"? (Technology Without An Interesting Name).
    Yes, that is really what the acronym stands for. Does that help at
    all?

    How about "LASER"? Which is usually "laser" now and even has a
    back-formation "lase".

    A student assembler that was at use at Simon Fraser University in
    the late '70s was called "NIP", which stood for "Nothing In
    Particular".

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Dec 20, 2011
    #6
  7. Gene Wirchenko <> wrote:

    (snip)
    > How about "LASER"? Which is usually "laser" now and even has a
    > back-formation "lase".


    Maybe getting too far off topic, but Light Amplification by Stimulated
    Emission of Radiation.

    Before that, there was the MASER (Microwave ...) and there were so many
    papers sent in to Physical Review (the usual journal for physics papers)
    on the MASER that they had someone send them back without review.

    When a paper on an Optical MASER was sent it, following the rules, it
    was sent back without review. As a result, the first paper on the
    LASER, as I understand it, was published in the New York Times.

    Sometime later, Physical Review figured out the mistake and published.

    Yes there is a verb form, to lase, very strange.

    -- glen
    glen herrmannsfeldt, Dec 20, 2011
    #7
  8. Roedy Green

    Lew Guest

    On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:13:43 PM UTC-8, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    > >
    > >The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    > >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

    >
    > I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
    > you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
    > tell you.


    What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
    be authoritative?

    That founding link has an email address on it. If that address is active still, you can write the author and ask him.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 21, 2011
    #8
  9. On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    wrote:

    >On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:13:43 PM UTC-8, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >> >
    >> >The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
    >> >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

    >>
    >> I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
    >> you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
    >> tell you.

    >
    >What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that


    It is not very pronouncable.

    [snip]

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Dec 21, 2011
    #9
  10. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    >What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    >first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
    >be authoritative?


    Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup
    Language

    It is not pronounceable. That is another clue.

    I wrote the author. He did not respond.

    Sometimes acronyms are a joke and when the product acquires prestige,
    the author wishes the acronym deviation would go away.

    Sun disavowed JDBC meaning anything because I gather they did not
    like giving homage to Microsoft's ODBC.

    There is one acronym in the Java glossary whose name escapes me. They
    refuse to divulge the meaning of their acronym saying it reflects
    their early history and they are much bigger than that now.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    If you can't remember the name of some method,
    consider changing it to something you can remember.
    Roedy Green, Dec 22, 2011
    #10
  11. On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:55:03 -0500, Eric Sosman
    <> wrote:

    >On 12/22/2011 5:38 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew<>
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >>>
    >>> What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    >>> first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
    >>> be authoritative?

    >>
    >> Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup
    >> Language

    >
    > ... just as ROEDY contains Oxford English Dictionary?


    ....and "Sosman" has "SOS" which is often considered an acronym for
    "Save Our Souls" and other similar variations though it is not
    actually an acronym.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Dec 22, 2011
    #11
  12. Roedy Green

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    > >
    > >What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    > >first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other
    > >source
    > >be authoritative?

    >
    > Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup
    > Language


    To be accurate and pedantic, NSGML is not an "acronym", it is a
    "initialism".

    > It is not pronounceable. That is another clue.


    If it were pronounceable, and you pronounced it as a word rather than
    saying its letters, then it would be an acronym.

    --
    Jim Gibson
    Jim Gibson, Dec 22, 2011
    #12
  13. On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:26:15 -0800, Jim Gibson <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Roedy Green
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <>
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >> >
    >> >What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    >> >first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other
    >> >source
    >> >be authoritative?

    >>
    >> Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup
    >> Language

    >
    >To be accurate and pedantic, NSGML is not an "acronym", it is a
    >"initialism".


    Here is the first definition for initialism at
    dictionary.reference.com:

    "a name or term formed from the initial letters of a group of words
    and pronounced as a separate word, as NATO for North Atlantic Treaty
    organization; an acronym."

    >> It is not pronounceable. That is another clue.

    >
    >If it were pronounceable, and you pronounced it as a word rather than
    >saying its letters, then it would be an acronym.


    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Dec 22, 2011
    #13
  14. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/22/2011 5:38 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew<>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >> What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
    >> first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
    >> be authoritative?

    >
    > Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup


    So employee is an acronym because EE is an acronym
    for Enterprise Edition.

    (OK - I am not first with the argument, but I did pick
    a Java relevant acronym)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 23, 2011
    #14
  15. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:47:22 -0800, Gene Wirchenko <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    > Here is the first definition for initialism at
    >dictionary.reference.com:


    the OED defines them this way:

    acronym: a word formed from the initial letters of other words:
    e.g.LASER

    initialism: a abbreviation formed of initial letters pronounced
    separetely: e.g. BBC

    So it seems that initialisms are a subset of acronyms.

    So that would make NSGMLS both an acronym and an initialism. However
    if you pronounce it N S G M Lz then it is no longer an initialism.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    If you can't remember the name of some method,
    consider changing it to something you can remember.
    Roedy Green, Jan 5, 2012
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ali100
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    525
    Henry S. Thompson
    Jan 19, 2006
  2. Steve Kostecke
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    458
    Nick Kew
    Jun 5, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page