Nslookup

Discussion in 'C++' started by Joe Snodgrass, May 16, 2011.

  1. Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Joe Snodgrass, May 16, 2011

  2. Joe Snodgrass

    Fred Zwarts Guest

    "Joe Snodgrass" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    > you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    php, or java.
    nslookup is deprecated. Use dig.
    Lookup ns records to find DNS servers.

    Fred Zwarts, May 16, 2011

  3. Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    > Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

    that's news to me..

    Nslookup is a program that allows you to query many servers, yes. But
    they never become 'your dns servsr'

    To change that you need to reconfigure the resolver.

    but how do
    > you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Look on ISP's web sites etc.
    Follow the root servers down to something auhiritavve for some local domains

    Look up a domain and see what its name server is.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 16, 2011
  4. Joe Snodgrass

    red floyd Guest

    On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >
    > Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
    >
    > >> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    > >> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    > > Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    > > php, or java [sic].

    > Really?  You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    > programmer?  Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    > computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

    I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    my baker
    drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

    red floyd, May 17, 2011
  5. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On 05/16/2011 07:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    > On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>
    >> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    >>> php, or java [sic].

    >> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>

    > I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    > my baker
    > drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

    A poetic or self-evaluatedly clever riposte is fairly useless if it doesn't
    somehow embody a relevant point. We aren't asking a baker about internal
    combustion engines' function, we're asking a baker if they have
    recommendations for a good oven.

    If you fancy yourself a professional programmer, you had better have some
    understanding of how to get your program to run in the real world. Nor clever
    (as you think) retorts, nor labored and inapplicable analogies will save your
    software. Knowing how to set a DNS server might. The question is entirely on
    topic for clj.programmer. (Note the emphasis on programmer - it's for people
    who want results, not fanboys for labored or spaghetti languages.)

    Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
    seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how to
    answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least among us
    practical-minded folk.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, May 17, 2011
  6. On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    > On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>
    >> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    >>> php, or java [sic].

    >> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>

    > I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    > my baker
    > drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

    I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    either - and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.

    Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    each for their specific topic(s).

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  7. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    >> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>>

    >> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    >> my baker
    >> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
    >>

    > I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter, either -
    > and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >
    > Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    > everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups, each for
    > their specific topic(s).

    Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, May 17, 2011
  8. On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
    > On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    >>> my baker
    >>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
    >>>

    >> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    >> either -
    >> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    >> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    >> each for
    >> their specific topic(s).

    > Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    monitor c.l.j very much.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  9. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    > Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't monitor
    > c.l.j very much.

    Nobody misses you. Plonk.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, May 17, 2011
  10. Joe Snodgrass

    Bill B Guest

    On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:

    >>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    >>> either -
    >>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    >>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    >>> each for
    >>> their specific topic(s).

    >> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?
    >>

    > Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    > monitor c.l.j very much.

    Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.

    Bill B

    Bill B, May 17, 2011
  11. On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
    >>> guy?
    >>>

    >> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >> monitor c.l.j very much.

    > Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
    >
    > Bill B

    Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  12. Joe Snodgrass

    Bill B Guest

    On 5/17/2011 8:18 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:

    >>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >>> monitor c.l.j very much.

    >> Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
    >>
    >> Bill B

    > Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    > sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
    time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
    Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
    Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.

    Bill B

    Bill B, May 17, 2011
  13. Lew wrote:
    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
    >>> guy?

    >> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >> monitor
    >> c.l.j very much.

    > Nobody misses you. Plonk.

    Indeed. Jerry is a nothing guy really.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2011

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  15. Joe Snodgrass

    Bill B Guest

    On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 8:30 AM, Bill B wrote:

    >>> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    >>> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    >> A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
    >> time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
    >> Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
    >> Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.
    >>
    >> Bill B

    > Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    > sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
    people think well of you when you bully others?

    Bill B

    Bill B, May 17, 2011
  16. Bill B wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >> Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    >> sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    > Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
    > people think well of you when you bully others?

    As long has is amour propre is satisfied, I don't think Jerry cares.
    He can maintain the fiction to himself that he is relevant, knows
    something, and is a person to be reckoned with.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2011

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  18. On 5/17/2011 9:07 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >>> monitor
    >>> c.l.j very much.

    >> Nobody misses you. Plonk.
    >>

    > Indeed. Jerry is a nothing guy really.

    Ah yes, the anonymous troll who won't use his right name because he's so
    afraid someone will find out he's neither a programmer nor the engineer
    he claims to be. Just an out-of-work ditch digger who got fired because
    he didn't know which end of the shovel to use.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  19. Joe Snodgrass

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <iqu7t7$u4p$>,
    Jerry Stuckle <> wrote:

    > On 5/17/2011 11:10 AM, Bill B wrote:

    Ah, it's the can't snip won't snip fuckers again.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 17, 2011
  20. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On 05/18/2011 04:38 AM, bugbear wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >
    >> Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
    >> seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how
    >> to answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least
    >> among us practical-minded folk.
    >>

    > One might wonder why the comp hierarchy is split at all, following your "logic"

    I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers. I
    believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
    insufficiently helpful. Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
    enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help. That would be such a
    character flaw and earn a person a degree of contempt.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, May 18, 2011