Nslookup

Joe Snodgrass

Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Fred Zwarts

Joe Snodgrass said:
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
php, or java.
nslookup is deprecated. Use dig.
Lookup ns records to find DNS servers.

The Natural Philosopher

Joe said:
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

that's news to me..

Nslookup is a program that allows you to query many servers, yes. But
they never become 'your dns servsr'

To change that you need to reconfigure the resolver.

but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Look on ISP's web sites etc.
Follow the root servers down to something auhiritavve for some local domains

Look up a domain and see what its name server is.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

No, that’s in /etc/resolv.conf normally.

And nowadays the “host†program supplants “nslookupâ€.

red floyd

Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
php, or java [sic].

Really?  You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
programmer?  Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
my baker
drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

Lew

Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
php, or java [sic].

Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
my baker
drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

A poetic or self-evaluatedly clever riposte is fairly useless if it doesn't
somehow embody a relevant point. We aren't asking a baker about internal
combustion engines' function, we're asking a baker if they have
recommendations for a good oven.

If you fancy yourself a professional programmer, you had better have some
understanding of how to get your program to run in the real world. Nor clever
(as you think) retorts, nor labored and inapplicable analogies will save your
software. Knowing how to set a DNS server might. The question is entirely on
topic for clj.programmer. (Note the emphasis on programmer - it's for people
who want results, not fanboys for labored or spaghetti languages.)

Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how to
answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least among us
practical-minded folk.

Jerry Stuckle

Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
php, or java [sic].

Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
my baker
drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
either - and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.

Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
each for their specific topic(s).

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Lew

Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

[...]

Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

Roedy Green

Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

Your IAP chooses a DNS server for you when you do a DHCP renew. It
would rude to use some other server than the one he gives you. He is
trying to balance his loads. You can monitor the servers you get so
you have some to try in an emergency when DHCP gives you ones that are
not working properly. You can force it is your router. Login to your
router and set up a static DNS server.

You want a DNS server close to you to get decent response. You also
want one you are authorised to use.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dhcp.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Your IAP chooses a DNS server for you when you do a DHCP renew. It
would rude to use some other server than the one he gives you.

You can use whatever DNS servers you like, if they will accept queries from
you. For example, some people like OpenDNS.
He is trying to balance his loads.

People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
that to what DNS servers you use?

Roedy Green

People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
that to what DNS servers you use?

The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
that server and waste the power of the other two.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
How long did it take after the car was invented before owners understood
cars would not work unless you regularly changed the oil and the tires?
We have gone 33 years and still it is rare to uncover a user who
understands computers don't work without regular backups.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
that server and waste the power of the other two.

What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?

Andreas Leitgeb

Lawrence D'Oliveiro said:
What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?

Roedy is talking about providers that have a reason to offer one(or two)
particular ones of their own DNS-Servers to each of their users. Whether
that is technically done with DHCP, PPP (or whatever else) is irrelevant.

Now, whether a user decides to use the DNS offered by his ISP, or a different
one is not Roedy's business. If all users of a particular ISP were to hard-
configure one particular of their ISP's DNS servers, then it would be the ISP's
business to take measures against the imbalance, and also to examine, why
users were taking the effort to pick a particular one over the default,
in the first place.

I'm using UMTS for my dialup from home, and casually I get bogus DNSs, like
10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.4. Therefore I did hardcode some DNS in my /etc/resolv.conf
and did chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf just so pppd won't overwrite it with its
casual bogus values.

Finally, it is sometimes worthwhile to ask a particular non-default DNS for a
particular hostname without temporarily reconfiguring the system for that
particular DNS ...

Fortunately, however, even the newer "host" utility *does* allow to specify
a particular DNS for a query just like nslookup did.

Jerry Stuckle

Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

[...]

Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
monitor c.l.j very much.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)
==================

Bill B

On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

[...]

Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.

Bill B

Jerry Stuckle

On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

[...]

Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

--
==================

On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

[...]

A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.

Bill B

Jerry Stuckle

On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...