Nslookup

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joe Snodgrass, May 16, 2011.

  1. Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
    Joe Snodgrass, May 16, 2011

  2. Joe Snodgrass

    Fred Zwarts Guest

    "Joe Snodgrass" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    > you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    php, or java.
    nslookup is deprecated. Use dig.
    Lookup ns records to find DNS servers.
    Fred Zwarts, May 16, 2011

  3. Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    > Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

    that's news to me..

    Nslookup is a program that allows you to query many servers, yes. But
    they never become 'your dns servsr'

    To change that you need to reconfigure the resolver.

    but how do
    > you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Look on ISP's web sites etc.
    Follow the root servers down to something auhiritavve for some local domains

    Look up a domain and see what its name server is.
    The Natural Philosopher, May 16, 2011
  4. In message
    <>, Joe
    Snodgrass wrote:

    > Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server,

    No, that’s in /etc/resolv.conf normally.

    And nowadays the “host†program supplants “nslookupâ€.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 16, 2011
  5. Joe Snodgrass

    red floyd Guest

    On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >
    > Joe Snodgrass wrote ...
    >
    > >> Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    > >> you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    > > Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    > > php, or java [sic].

    > Really?  You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    > programmer?  Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    > computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

    I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    my baker
    drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
    red floyd, May 17, 2011
  6. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On 05/16/2011 07:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    > On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>
    >> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    >>> php, or java [sic].

    >> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>

    > I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    > my baker
    > drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

    A poetic or self-evaluatedly clever riposte is fairly useless if it doesn't
    somehow embody a relevant point. We aren't asking a baker about internal
    combustion engines' function, we're asking a baker if they have
    recommendations for a good oven.

    If you fancy yourself a professional programmer, you had better have some
    understanding of how to get your program to run in the real world. Nor clever
    (as you think) retorts, nor labored and inapplicable analogies will save your
    software. Knowing how to set a DNS server might. The question is entirely on
    topic for clj.programmer. (Note the emphasis on programmer - it's for people
    who want results, not fanboys for labored or spaghetti languages.)

    Joe, if you want to discuss this with people who will take your question
    seriously, please feel free to do so. I apologize that I do not know how to
    answer your question, but I support your right to ask it. At least among us
    practical-minded folk.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 17, 2011
  7. On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    > On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>
    >> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation with C++,
    >>> php, or java [sic].

    >> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>

    > I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    > my baker
    > drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

    I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    either - and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.

    Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    each for their specific topic(s).

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  8. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
    >> On May 16, 10:22 am, Lew<> wrote:
    >>> Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

    >>> Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues as a
    >>> programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a vacuum where
    >>> computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?
    >>>

    >> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    >> my baker
    >> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
    >>

    > I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter, either -
    > and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >
    > Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    > everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups, each for
    > their specific topic(s).

    Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 17, 2011
  9. Joe Snodgrass

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 05:39:02 -0700 (PDT), Joe Snodgrass
    said :

    >Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but how do
    >you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.

    Your IAP chooses a DNS server for you when you do a DHCP renew. It
    would rude to use some other server than the one he gives you. He is
    trying to balance his loads. You can monitor the servers you get so
    you have some to try in an emergency when DHCP gives you ones that are
    not working properly. You can force it is your router. Login to your
    router and set up a static DNS server.

    You want a DNS server close to you to get decent response. You also
    want one you are authorised to use.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dhcp.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, May 17, 2011
  10. In message <>, Roedy Green wrote:

    > Your IAP chooses a DNS server for you when you do a DHCP renew. It
    > would rude to use some other server than the one he gives you.

    You can use whatever DNS servers you like, if they will accept queries from
    you. For example, some people like OpenDNS.

    > He is trying to balance his loads.

    People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
    that to what DNS servers you use?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2011
  11. Joe Snodgrass

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:50:57 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
    >that to what DNS servers you use?

    The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
    question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
    to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
    ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
    that server and waste the power of the other two.
    Roedy Green, May 17, 2011
  12. In message <>, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:50:57 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >>People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
    >>that to what DNS servers you use?

    > The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
    > question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
    > to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
    > ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
    > that server and waste the power of the other two.

    What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2011
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:50:57 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    >> someone who said :
    >>> People running the servers try to balance loads. What is the relevance of
    >>> that to what DNS servers you use?

    >> The answer seems so obvious that I wonder if I am misinterpreting your
    >> question. If the IAP has 3 servers and he tells 1/3 of his customers
    >> to use each server, it will optimise throughput. If his customers
    >> ignore his request and all go direct to server 0, they will overload
    >> that server and waste the power of the other two.

    > What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?

    Roedy is talking about providers that have a reason to offer one(or two)
    particular ones of their own DNS-Servers to each of their users. Whether
    that is technically done with DHCP, PPP (or whatever else) is irrelevant.

    Now, whether a user decides to use the DNS offered by his ISP, or a different
    one is not Roedy's business. If all users of a particular ISP were to hard-
    configure one particular of their ISP's DNS servers, then it would be the ISP's
    business to take measures against the imbalance, and also to examine, why
    users were taking the effort to pick a particular one over the default,
    in the first place.

    I'm using UMTS for my dialup from home, and casually I get bogus DNSs, like
    10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.4. Therefore I did hardcode some DNS in my /etc/resolv.conf
    and did chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf just so pppd won't overwrite it with its
    casual bogus values.

    Finally, it is sometimes worthwhile to ask a particular non-default DNS for a
    particular hostname without temporarily reconfiguring the system for that
    particular DNS ...

    Fortunately, however, even the newer "host" utility *does* allow to specify
    a particular DNS for a query just like nslookup did.
    Andreas Leitgeb, May 17, 2011
  14. On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
    > On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >>> I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I knew
    >>> my baker
    >>> drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.
    >>>

    >> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    >> either -
    >> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    >> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    >> each for
    >> their specific topic(s).

    > Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    monitor c.l.j very much.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  15. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?

    > Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't monitor
    > c.l.j very much.

    Nobody misses you. Plonk.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 17, 2011
  16. Joe Snodgrass

    Bill B Guest

    On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:

    >>> I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's charter,
    >>> either -
    >>> and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can ask
    >>> everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
    >>> each for
    >>> their specific topic(s).

    >> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP guy?
    >>

    > Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    > monitor c.l.j very much.

    Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.

    Bill B
    Bill B, May 17, 2011
  17. On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
    >>> guy?
    >>>

    >> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >> monitor c.l.j very much.

    > Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
    >
    > Bill B

    Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    --
    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, May 17, 2011
  18. Joe Snodgrass

    Bill B Guest

    On 5/17/2011 8:18 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:

    >>> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >>> monitor c.l.j very much.

    >> Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.
    >>
    >> Bill B

    > Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
    > sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

    A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
    time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
    Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
    Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.

    Bill B
    Bill B, May 17, 2011
  19. Lew wrote:
    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
    >>> guy?

    >> Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
    >> monitor
    >> c.l.j very much.

    > Nobody misses you. Plonk.

    Indeed. Jerry is a nothing guy really.