Nslookup

Bill B

On 5/17/2011 7:29 AM, Bill B wrote:
On 5/17/2011 7:01 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/17/2011 12:19 AM, Lew wrote:
On 05/16/2011 10:24 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 5/16/2011 7:06 PM, red floyd wrote:
Fred Zwarts wrote:

Joe Snodgrass wrote ...

Nslookup gives you the ability to change your DNS server, but
how do
you find out what other DNS servers are available? TIA.
Why posting in these newsgroups? I don't understand the relation
with C++,
php, or java [sic].

Really? You never have to diagnose or influence deployment issues
as a
programmer? Does your favorite programming language exist in a
vacuum where
computers and networks and DNS servers have no relevance?

I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine works, and I
knew
my baker
drives a car, so I asked him instead of a mechanic.

I see your group has idiots who don't care about the group's
charter,
either -
and think everything should be on topic in every newsgroup.

Gee, I wonder why there isn't just one big newsgroup so anyone can
ask
everyone a question, instead of the tens of thousands of newsgroups,
each for
their specific topic(s).

Well, aren't you the soul of helpfulness? Are you a C++ guy or a PHP
guy?

Yes, and I'm also a Java guy. But because of idiots like you I don't
monitor c.l.j very much.

Mr. Stuckle, you can get your point across without being a bully.

Bill B

Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

A little self control, Mr. Stuckle, you fall into the same trap every
time. By now you should know that your words have no effect on me.
Bullying me is a waste of your time. I expect civil discourse from you,
Mr. Stuckle, and nothing you say will change that. Give it up, man.

Bill B

Bill, you can take your self-righteous attitude and stuff it where the
sun doesn't shine. That way it will be right next to your head.

Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
people think well of you when you bully others?

Bill B

The Natural Philosopher

Bill said:
On 5/17/2011 10:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Mr. Stuckle, do you perhaps believe that people admire bullies, and that
people think well of you when you bully others?
As long has is amour propre is satisfied, I don't think Jerry cares.
He can maintain the fiction to himself that he is relevant, knows
something, and is a person to be reckoned with.

Jerry Stuckle

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Jerry Stuckle

Indeed. Jerry is a nothing guy really.

Ah yes, the anonymous troll who won't use his right name because he's so
afraid someone will find out he's neither a programmer nor the engineer
he claims to be. Just an out-of-work ditch digger who got fired because
he didn't know which end of the shovel to use.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(e-mail address removed)
==================

RedGrittyBrick

What servers exactly are you talking about? DNS servers or something else?

He is talking about DNS servers (though the core point has more general
applicability)

Also, DNS servers cache results. When an ISP provides DNS servers and
customers use them, this results in faster service to customers and
reduced upstream DNS traffic.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Andreas Leitgeb said:
Now, whether a user decides to use the DNS offered by his ISP, or a
different one is not Roedy's business.

My point exactly.
Finally, it is sometimes worthwhile to ask a particular non-default DNS
for a particular hostname without temporarily reconfiguring the system for
that particular DNS ...

Essential for testing purposes, given how easy it is to stuff up BIND
configs, for example.

Lew

One might wonder why the comp hierarchy is split at all, following your "logic"

I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers. I
believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
insufficiently helpful. Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help. That would be such a
character flaw and earn a person a degree of contempt.

Michael Doubez

I guess that depends on one's commitment to helping fellow programmers.  I
believe if you don't want to answer the OP in this thread, that you're being
insufficiently helpful.  Shame on you if true, because that means you want to
enforce some petty and arbitrary limit rather than help.

Argumentum ad misericordiam

The reason why the people here are so helpful and the group is still
alive is because some people do care enough to keep the discussions on
topic.

If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.
You would then have to ask elsewhere, which is exactely what the OP is
invited to do.

Lew

Michael said:
Argumentum ad misericordiam

Misidentification of fallacy. I'd already made the point that it's relevant
to one of the groups to which the OP posted, namely clj.programmer. The
"programmer" part of that means that it's not about the language as such, but
the skills needed to use it effectively. I had argued that the question is
relevant there. The appeal to sympathy is to show that the line was being
drawn arbitrarily fine. Nowhere am I suggesting that the discussion veer from
the subject of the newsgroup, I only suggest that people not be such
namby-pamby nitpickers and be so doggedly exclusionary.

So while you show off your Latin quite nicely, it's irrelevant.
The reason why the people here are so helpful and the group is still
alive is because some people do care enough to keep the discussions on
topic.

I don't know where your "here" is, but in this thread I'm arguing against the
people who are NOT being "so helpful".
If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.
You would then have to ask elsewhere, which is exactely what the OP is
invited to do.

And also the OP is being invited EXACTLY to continue to post "here" for one
value of "here". You unsympathetic so-and-so. (Ad hominem - in case you want
to show off more Latin.)

thingamabob

On 18/05/2011 6:26 PM, Lew wrote:
2> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

2> Michael Doubez wrote:
2>> Argumentum ad misericordiam

Argumentum ad listoffallaciesum.

2> Misidentification of fallacy.

Classic pontification.

2> I'd already made the point that it's
2> relevant to one of the groups to which the OP posted, namely
2> clj.programmer.

Classic erroneous presupposition. Besides which, that still does not
essay its relevance to either of the other two newsgroups -- nor the
relevance of your own post to any of the three.

2> The "programmer" part of that means that it's not about
2> the language as such, but the skills needed to use it effectively.

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim. I think most of us here
expect traffic to be on the topic of Java, or at the very least the JVM.

2> I had argued that the question is relevant there.

What does your argument have to do with C++ or PHP, Lew?

2> The appeal to sympathy is to show that the line was being drawn
2> arbitrarily fine.

What does your appeal to sympathy have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Lew?

2> Nowhere am I suggesting that the discussion veer from the subject
2> of the newsgroup,

Since the subject of the newsgroup is Java, your statement is erroneous.

2> I only suggest that people not be such namby-pamby nitpickers and be
2> so doggedly exclusionary.

Classic erroneous presupposition.

2> So while you show off your Latin quite nicely, it's irrelevant.

How ironic.

2> I don't know where your "here" is, but in this thread I'm arguing
2> against the people who are NOT being "so helpful".

How ironic.

2>> If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
2>> because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.

Classic slippery slope fallacy. You can add that to your collection of
fallacies, if it isn't already there.

2> And also the OP is being invited EXACTLY to continue to post "here" for
2> one value of "here".

By one person, Lew. And he's crossposting to two other groups, Lew.

2> You unsympathetic so-and-so.

Who is "You unsympathetic so-and-so", Lew? There is nobody in this
newsgroup using that alias.

2> (Ad hominem - in case you want to show off more Latin.)

What does your Latin have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Lew?

Michael Doubez

Misidentification of fallacy.

So you say.
I'd already made the point that it's relevant
to one of the groups to which the OP posted, namely clj.programmer.

I know java language is very large but AFAIS os tools like nslookup
are not part of it and the OP's question is not related to
programming.
 The
"programmer" part of that means that it's not about the language as such,but
the skills needed to use it effectively.  I had argued that the question is
relevant there.

The programmer part uses many skills, each of them can be classified
in its related newsgroup. Nslookup is a os related problem. I may
search in-depth at home and go to my os' newsgroup to ask the right
people and not only to those that happen to be here.
 The appeal to sympathy is to show that the line was being
drawn arbitrarily fine.

So you are basically saying that the sympathy proves something about
the width of the line being drawn. That's basically ad misericordiam.
 Nowhere am I suggesting that the discussion veer from
the subject of the newsgroup,  I only suggest that people not be such
namby-pamby nitpickers and be so doggedly exclusionary.
So while you show off your Latin quite nicely, it's irrelevant.

That's the name of the sophism classification. I can't help it if it
is in latin. Like the sophism, you are using now: ad hominem
(dismissing what I said because of the use of latin supposedly chosen
for showing off).
I don't know where your "here" is, but in this thread I'm arguing againstthe
people who are NOT being "so helpful".

Here is comp.lang.c++ but I expect that OP posted in other helpful
groups.
And also the OP is being invited EXACTLY to continue to post "here" for one
value of "here".

Well, keep your "here" as comp.lang.java.programmer and please stop
cross posting.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

thingamabob said:
On 18/05/2011 6:26 PM, Lew wrote:
2> The "programmer" part of that means that it's not about
2> the language as such, but the skills needed to use it effectively.

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim. I think most of us here
expect traffic to be on the topic of Java, or at the very least the JVM.

Your other points aside, you are making an erroneous presupposition yourself
there. For whether your argument makes sense in the first place depends on
where "here" is. You have posted to *three* newsgroups, only one where Java
is on-topic. (I am reading this in comp.lang.php.)

Please consider the Followup-To comp.lang.php in this posting (or ignore it
and include another suitable newsgroup [about logic?] in the Newsgroups list
and set Followup-To to it, or do not post a follow-up to this at all) and
stop doing that. All of you. TIA.

PointedEars

The Natural Philosopher

thingamabob said:
On 18/05/2011 6:26 PM, Lew wrote:

What does your Latin have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Lew?

Sophistry? Oh. Thats Greek innit?

The Natural Philosopher

bugbear said:
The notion that having a hierachy as opposed to a dustbin
on USENET is petty and arbitrary is merely your assertion, and one
with which I wholeheartedly disgaree.

BugBear
One is reminded of an Englishman's response to the restoration of the
Crown..'Any Rule is better than no Rule at all.

Lew

So you say.

I know java language is very large but AFAIS os tools like nslookup
are not part of it and the OP's question is not related to
programming.

The programmer part uses many skills, each of them can be classified
in its related newsgroup. Nslookup is a os related problem. I may
search in-depth at home and go to my os' newsgroup to ask the right
people and not only to those that happen to be here.

So you are basically saying that the sympathy proves something about
the width of the line being drawn. That's basically ad misericordiam.

I am saying that I already addressed the question of relevance, and I think
that you're being petty and mean to be so rigid.
That's the name of the sophism classification. I can't help it if it
is in latin. Like the sophism, you are using now: ad hominem
(dismissing what I said because of the use of latin supposedly chosen
for showing off).

Wow, good for you. You parroted my helpful hint that I was using ad hominem.
That shows you paid attention when you read my post. Congratulations on
your ability to repeat what I said.
Here is comp.lang.c++ but I expect that OP posted in other helpful
groups.

Well, clj.programmer is a bit more tolerant than you.
Well, keep your "here" as comp.lang.java.programmer and please stop
cross posting.

Or what? You'll call the Usenet Police?

You're being mean and that's not nice. Shame on you!

Lew

Michael said:
[...]

(dismissing what I said because of the use of latin [sic] supposedly chosen
for showing off).

Wow, good for you. You parroted my helpful hint that I was using ad hominem.
That shows you paid attention when you read my post. Congratulations on
your ability to repeat what I said.
Here is comp.lang.c++ but I expect that OP posted in other helpful
groups.

Well, clj.programmer is a bit more tolerant than you.
Well, keep your "here" as comp.lang.java.programmer and please stop
cross posting.

Or what? You'll call the Usenet Police?

You're being mean and that's not nice. Shame on you!

thingamabob

On 19/05/2011 4:01 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
1> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

1> Your other points aside, you are making an erroneous presupposition
yourself
1> there.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with C++, PHP, or Java, Lahn?

1> For whether your argument makes sense in the first place depends on
1> where "here" is.

The context of my remark was clearly Lew's statement regarding what
topics are expected in comp.lang.java.programmer, Lahn. Suffering from
reading comprehension problems, Lahn?

1> You have posted to *three* newsgroups, only one where Java
1> is on-topic.

Classic pontification.

1> (I am reading this in comp.lang.php.)

What does that have to do with C++ or Java, Lahn?
Please consider the Followup-To comp.lang.php in this posting (or ignore it
and include another suitable newsgroup [about logic?] in the Newsgroups list
and set Followup-To to it, or do not post a follow-up to this at all) and
stop doing that. All of you. TIA.

What does your request have to do with C++ or Java, Lahn?
PointedEars

What does that have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Lahn?

thingamabob

On 19/05/2011 10:03 AM, Lew wrote:
3> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

3> I am saying that I already addressed the question of relevance, and I
3> think that you're being petty and mean to be so rigid.

What does your invective have to do with Java, Lew?

3> Wow, good for you.

What does that have to do with Java, Lew?

3> You parroted my helpful hint that I was using ad hominem.

What does your ad hominem have to do with Java, Lew?

3> That shows you paid attention when you read my post.

What does Doubez's attention have to do with Java, Lew?

3> Congratulations on your ability to repeat what I said.

What do your congratulations have to do with Java, Lew?

3> Well, clj.programmer is a bit more tolerant than you.

How ironic.

3> Or what? You'll call the Usenet Police?

What does your question have to do with Java, Lew?

3> You're being mean and that's not nice. Shame on you!

How ironic.

Doug Miller

On 19/05/2011 4:01 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
1> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

1> Your other points aside, you are making an erroneous presupposition
yourself
1> there.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with C++, PHP, or Java, Lahn?
[snippo]

Please don't feed the trolls.