Nslookup

thingamabob

On 19/05/2011 1:15 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
1> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

1> [snippo]

What does that have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Miller?

1> Please don't feed the trolls.

What does your unsubstantiated claim regarding Lahn have to do with C++,
PHP, or Java, Miller?

Jerry Stuckle

On 19/05/2011 4:01 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
1> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

1> Your other points aside, you are making an erroneous presupposition
yourself
1> there.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with C++, PHP, or Java, Lahn?

1> For whether your argument makes sense in the first place depends on
1> where "here" is.

The context of my remark was clearly Lew's statement regarding what
topics are expected in comp.lang.java.programmer, Lahn. Suffering from
reading comprehension problems, Lahn?

1> You have posted to *three* newsgroups, only one where Java
1> is on-topic.

Classic pontification.

1> (I am reading this in comp.lang.php.)

What does that have to do with C++ or Java, Lahn?
Please consider the Followup-To comp.lang.php in this posting (or
ignore it
and include another suitable newsgroup [about logic?] in the
Newsgroups list
and set Followup-To to it, or do not post a follow-up to this at all) and
stop doing that. All of you. TIA.

What does your request have to do with C++ or Java, Lahn?
PointedEars

What does that have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Lahn?

Don't worry about him - he's a well-known troll in several newsgroups.
He never does have anything of substance to add. If he didn't troll he
wouldn't be able to post.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

thingamabob

On 19/05/2011 1:45 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
1> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

1> Don't worry about him - he's a well-known troll in several newsgroups.

What does Lahn's trolling have to do with C++, PHP, or Java, Stuckle?

1> He never does have anything of substance to add.

What does your unsubstantiated claim have to do with C++, PHP, or Java,
Stuckle?

1> If he didn't troll he wouldn't be able to post.

What does your unsubstantiated claim have to do with C++, PHP, or Java,
Stuckle?

Doug Miller

[...]

"thingamabob" is clearly a troll also -- please don't feed them.

thingamabob

On 19/05/2011 2:31 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
2> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

2> "thingamabob" is clearly a troll also

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with C++, PHP, or Java, Miller?

2> -- please don't feed them.

What does your request-and-classic-erroneous-presupposition combo have
[...]

Yup, obviously, Doug. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to
treat him like a human.

--
==================

On 19/05/2011 9:43 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
2> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer

2>> "thingamabob" is clearly a troll also -- please don't feed them.
2>
2> Yup, obviously, Doug.

In what way can Miller's classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim
*possibly* be classified as "obvious"?!

2> Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to treat him like a
2> human.

What does your classic erroneous presupposition have to do with C++,
PHP, or Java, Stuckle?

Michael Doubez

Michael Doubez wrote:

 >>> Argumentum ad misericordiam
 >>
 >> Misidentification of fallacy.
 >
 > So you say.
 >
 >> I'd already made the point that it's relevant
 >> to one of the groups to which the OP posted, namely clj.programmer.
 >
 > I know java language is very large but AFAIS os tools like nslookup
 > are not part of it and the OP's question is not related to
 > programming.
 >
 >>   The
 >> "programmer" part of that means that it's not about the language assuch, but
 >> the skills needed to use it effectively.  I had argued that the question is
 >> relevant there.
 >
 > The programmer part uses many skills, each of them can be classified
 > in its related newsgroup. Nslookup is a os related problem. I may
 > search in-depth at home and go to my os' newsgroup to ask the right
 > people and not only to those that happen to be here.
 >
 >>   The appeal to sympathy is to show that the line was being
 >> drawn arbitrarily fine.
 >
 > So you are basically saying that the sympathy proves something about
 > the width of the line being drawn. That's basically ad misericordiam..

I am saying that I already addressed the question of relevance,

Which I answered where/when you addressed it.
and I think that you're being petty and mean to be so rigid.
 >>   Nowhere am I suggesting that the discussion veer from
 >> the subject of the newsgroup,  I only suggest that people not be such
 >> namby-pamby nitpickers and be so doggedly exclusionary.
 >
 >> So while you show off your Latin quite nicely, it's irrelevant.
 >
 > That's the name of the sophism classification. I can't help it if it
 > is in latin. Like the sophism, you are using now: ad hominem
 > (dismissing what I said because of the use of latin [sic] supposedlychosen
 > for showing off).

Wow, good for you.  You parroted my helpful hint that I was using ad hominem.
  That shows you paid attention when you read my post.  Congratulations on
your ability to repeat what I said.

I did not bothered to correct you because you were not even wrong.
Simply insulting someone has nothing to do with 'ad hominem'.
 >>> The reason why the people here are so helpful and the group is still
 >>> alive is because some people do care enough to keep the discussions on
 >>> topic.
 >>
 >> I don't know where your "here" is, but in this thread I'm arguing against the
 >> people who are NOT being "so helpful".
 >
 > Here is comp.lang.c++ but I expect that OP posted in other helpful
 > groups.

Well, clj.programmer is a bit more tolerant than you.

Good for you. Then please stop polluting other groups.

 >>> If it wasn't the case you wouldn't be able to ask your question here
 >>> because everybody would be too busy chatting and exchanging reciepes.
 >>> You would then have to ask elsewhere, which is exactely what the OP is
 >>> invited to do.
 >>
 >> And also the OP is being invited EXACTLY to continue to post "here"for one
 >> value of "here".
 >
 > Well, keep your "here" as comp.lang.java.programmer and please stop
 > cross posting.

Or what?  You'll call the Usenet Police?

I don't need to make threat or appeal to authority to make a point:
you are needlessly making noise in other groups.