NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE error

sck10

Hello,

I have a ASP.NET 2.0 website that is working on one virtual server (windows
2003 SP1) that connects to a SQL Server 2000 database on a different
machine. I transferred the files to another virtual server (windows 2003
SP1) and I am now getting the following error.

The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files'.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sck10,

Thanks for your posting.

Based on your description, you're ecountering some file access permission
error when deploying one of the ASP.NET 2.0 application to a target windows
2003 server , correct?

As for this issue, since the access error is against the ASP.NET's system
temporary folder, I think it is likely the netwrokservice account(default
process idenitity for IIS6 ,default application pool) is not grant the
proper security permissions. Is this server new installed with .net
framework 2.0, have you ever run any other ASP.NET 2.0 application on it?
Here is a msdn article describing create a custom service account for
ASP.NET 2.0 application and it also mentioned the security permission
necessary for ASP.NET process identity.

#How To: Create a Service Account for an ASP.NET 2.0 Application
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000009.asp?frame=tr
ue

In addition, for general file access permission error, you can use the
filemon tool to trace the file access failures so that you can clearly get
what's the target file entries that cause the problem:

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/filemon.html

Hope this helps. If there is any other questions, please feel free to post
here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Steve,

Glad to be of assistance!

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
had the same problem. checked a lot of forums without any solution. found out by 'accident' that my quota for the network service account was overrun. enlarging the quota (or deleting temp data) fixes the problem...