ntfs access denied problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by axford, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. axford

    axford Guest

    Hello all,

    Please help me with the following intranet security
    problem:
    I have set my IIS security to 'Windows Integrated' and
    have NTFS security for the ASPNET account correct on all
    web application folders. On one subfolder I want to
    restrict access to administrators, managers and system. I
    try this via NTFS.

    In my web.config I have:
    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    <identity impersonate="true" />
    <authorization><allow users="*" /></authorization>
    <customErrors mode="Off"></customErrors>

    When I restrict the NTFS security on the subfolder to the
    above mentioned groups the access denied error ("Failed
    to start monitoring file changes.") occurs with stack
    trace (only the end):

    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfigRecord(String
    reqpath, IHttpMapPath configmap) +434
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfig() +49
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetConfig(String name) +195
    System.Web.CustomErrors.GetSettings(HttpContext context,
    Boolean canThrow) +20
    System.Web.HttpResponse.ReportRuntimeError(Exception e,
    Boolean canThrow) +40

    This seems to indicate an error while parsing the config
    file. However when I add 'everyone:Read and Execute'
    access to the specified subfolder everything works
    perfect. So it must be a security problem. Of course I am
    using an account that belongs to one of the above
    mentioned groups!

    Also strange is that access denied refers
    to 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyApp\SpecialSubfolder\web.config'
    while the only web.config I know of
    is 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyApp\web.config'.

    I read several KB articles, but none of them looks
    related to the specific stack trace above.

    Can anybody solve this issue?

    thx.
    axford, Sep 23, 2003