NTFS permissions for ASP.NET user

Morten V. Pedersen

I've read the following article regarding NTFS permissions
and ASP.NET

url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp

In table 1 it says:
Parent directories of context
List Folder/ Read
Process
For file change notifications and the C# compiler.

What does parent directories of context mean?
Must c:\ and c:\winnt be assigned read/list folder
permissions for the ASP.NET user? (I'm running framework
1.0)

Hope someone can help with this.

Regards
/Morten

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Morten,

As I understand, you are not sure about the exact meaning of the "context"
in "Parent directories of context".

Based on my research and experience, the context here means the folder of
the web application. So the "Parent directories of context" means the
folder "wwwroot" and all its paret drectories.

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Morten,

I will also contact the author of this article and get a confirmation as
soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Morten,

I am sorry for the delaying response.

I have tried to contact the authors but I have not gotten any responses.
Due to the nature of your issue I need to do additional research to
determine the best way to provide assistance. I will contact you as soon as
possible.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Morten,

Finally, I have gotten the statement of this issue.

"... It means all the folders up to and including the disk drive.

For example, if your root directory is c:\inetpub\wwwroot, then parents and
directories applies to
c:\
c:\inetpub

However deep you place your web site's home directory, you need to grant
these permissions to all the folders above up to and including the drive's
root..."