nube question / css link @import etc

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bagman, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Bagman

    Bagman Guest

    Sorry, I'm confused...
    I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
    out there)
    it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
    <STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
    rather than a link like--
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
    media="all">
    in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
    degradation)
    Then I read somewhere else (sorry, forgot where) that this caused ns4 to
    lock or crash...
    But, in one NG or another I read that the direct link is ok, if you
    include "screen,projection"
    because NS4 ignored "projection" but Opera6/7(?) uses it...
    0wUuuu... Confusion is not good for my head...I prefer good red wine...

    Ideas, sugestions? RTFMissueDateVol#SourceURLpage#?
    thanx :)->
    --
    Bagman
    ___
    Bagman, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Bagman

    Isofarro Guest

    Bagman wrote:

    > Sorry, I'm confused...
    > I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
    > out there)
    > it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
    > <STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
    > rather than a link like--
    > <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
    > media="all">

    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
    media="screen, projection">

    Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
    handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010
    Isofarro, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Isofarro wrote:

    > Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
    > handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

    Actually, Netscape 4 only recognises media="screen" and media="print".
    media="all" is also ignored.

    But the example you gave:

    > <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
    > media="screen, projection">

    is good practice (IMHO) and is what I do on my site.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Bagman

    altamir Guest

    Isofarro <> wrote in

    > <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
    > media="screen, projection">
    >
    > Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it
    > can't handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

    False. I've got Netscape 4.05 and 4.76 (win) and they both ignore
    media="all".

    --
    altamir
    altamir, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Bagman

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Bagman
    <> writes
    >Sorry, I'm confused...
    >I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4
    >users out there)
    >it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
    ><STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
    >rather than a link like--
    ><link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
    >media="all">
    >in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
    >degradation)

    [snip]

    Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
    need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.

    Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    jake, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Bagman

    Isofarro Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Isofarro wrote:
    >
    >> Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it
    >> can't handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

    > Actually, Netscape 4 only recognises media="screen" and media="print".
    > media="all" is also ignored.

    I stand corrected!

    Isofarro, Nov 16, 2003
  7. jake wrote:

    > Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
    > need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.
    >
    > Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

    No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
    effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
    should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
    used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
    browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).

    --
    frostie
    http://brightonfixedodds.net
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Nov 16, 2003
  8. Bagman

    jake Guest

    In message <bp8v6b$1lguun$-berlin.de>, Robert
    Frost-Bridges <> writes
    >jake wrote:
    >

    >> Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
    >> need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.
    >>
    >> Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

    >No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
    >effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
    >should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
    >used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
    >browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).

    As you say, it depends on whether you think it's worth the effort.

    The biggest problem is with layout; but colour and style of text,
    background colour, etc. can be maintained without too much effort.

    It's usually better than providing a completely unstyled page. Just
    depends on who you think your audience is.

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    jake, Nov 17, 2003