nube question / css link @import etc

Bagman

Sorry, I'm confused...
I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
out there)
it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
<STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
rather than a link like--
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
media="all">
in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
degradation)
Then I read somewhere else (sorry, forgot where) that this caused ns4 to
lock or crash...
But, in one NG or another I read that the direct link is ok, if you
include "screen,projection"
because NS4 ignored "projection" but Opera6/7(?) uses it...
0wUuuu... Confusion is not good for my head...I prefer good red wine...

Ideas, sugestions? RTFMissueDateVol#SourceURLpage#?
thanx :)->

Isofarro

Bagman said:
Sorry, I'm confused...
I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
out there)
it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
<STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
rather than a link like--
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
media="all">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
media="screen, projection">

Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

Toby A Inkster

Isofarro said:
Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

Actually, Netscape 4 only recognises media="screen" and media="print".
media="all" is also ignored.

But the example you gave:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
media="screen, projection">

is good practice (IMHO) and is what I do on my site.

altamir

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
media="screen, projection">

Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it
can't handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

False. I've got Netscape 4.05 and 4.76 (win) and they both ignore
media="all".

jake

Bagman said:
Sorry, I'm confused...
I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4
users out there)
it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
<STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
rather than a link like--
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
media="all">
in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
degradation)
[snip]

Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.

Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

regards.

Robert Frost-Bridges

jake said:
Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.

Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).

jake

Robert said:
No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).
As you say, it depends on whether you think it's worth the effort.

The biggest problem is with layout; but colour and style of text,
background colour, etc. can be maintained without too much effort.

It's usually better than providing a completely unstyled page. Just
depends on who you think your audience is.

regards.