Nubie questions

petermichaux

Hi,

I haven't found a reference to $() and $A(). What are these methods?

Thanks,
Peter

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

I haven't found a reference to $() and $A(). What are these methods?

Nothing official. They are what you declare them to be, or what the
Javascript you include declares.

There is at least one javascript library that declares a function
called "$" as a shorthand for the document.getElementById function.
I don't know if it also declares a function called "$A", nor what
it would do, but you should be able to see that by finding the
declaration of the function.

/L

petermichaux

thanks. I'll look into the included javascript. Maybe prototype.js is
defining these.

Peter

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 1/29/2006 7:32 PM:
Hi,

I haven't found a reference to $() and $A(). What are these methods?

They are the "Uppercase" versions of 8() and 8a() and if you use them
without proper qualification then little green goblins will come out of
your monitor and beat you on the head with the bones of the squirrels
that were spinning the wheels of the last computer that Bill Gates
actually programmed on :)

OK, forgive me. I am sitting here at 3AM dreading disc replacement
surgery in 11 days and needed something to make me smile. Sorry you were
the recipient :)

They aren't "methods", they are user defined functions. If you see them
in a page some where, then view the source of the page and you will find
them. They are no different than:

function
myFunctionWithAReallyLongNameThatShouldHaveBeenShorterButIDidntWantToUseTheDollarSign
()