[nuby] tcpip proxy in ruby

Peña, Botp

All:

Anyone written a tcpip proxy in ruby?

Write a program which will be a simple intermediate server_1, the =
server_1 will listen to a specific (ordering line) port, after =
connection from the client, the server_1 itself is connecting to another =
specific server_2 and the server_1 is transmitting data on both side =
(server_2 and client).=20

On our case, server_2 may also serve as the internet.

Our scenario looks like this:

client------>server_1------->(server_2 or internet)

the link bw client and server_1 is a private leased line over wan. =
Client has no connection to the internet; only server_1 has. Client =
needs full access to the internet however (so http proxies like squid =
will not suffice).

thanks and kind regards -botp

Robert Klemme

Botp said:
All:

Anyone written a tcpip proxy in ruby?

Write a program which will be a simple intermediate server_1, the
server_1 will listen to a specific (ordering line) port, after
connection from the client, the server_1 itself is connecting to
another specific server_2 and the server_1 is transmitting data on
both side (server_2 and client).

On our case, server_2 may also serve as the internet.

Our scenario looks like this:

client------>server_1------->(server_2 or internet)

the link bw client and server_1 is a private leased line over wan.
Client has no connection to the internet; only server_1 has. Client
needs full access to the internet however (so http proxies like squid
will not suffice).

Hm, I don't actually see the point in first restricting client's access to
the internet and then enabling it again via a general proxy on server_1.
Firewalls usually do this with NAT for example. So why cook your own in
Ruby? Sounds like if you want to introduce a security hole, which the
folks responsible for the internet access are not going to like.

Regards

robert