    Dont know this for sure, but it amazes me as to the capabilities
    of Python!

    -ABP
    Anand Pillai, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Anand Pillai

    John J. Lee Guest

    (Anand Pillai) writes:

    > I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
    > uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
    > computers.
    >
    > Dont know this for sure, but it amazes me as to the capabilities
    > of Python!

    Python's actually used quite a bit in scientific computations. That's
    where I first used it, actually. Of course, performance critical
    stuff is in Fortran or C, and lots of libraries in those languages get
    used.

    David Beazley of SWIG fame started the SWIG project to use Python to
    drive big molecular dynamics simulations and analyse the resulting
    data (the latter sometimes involves big computational resources in
    itself).

    Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
    codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
    not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
    wrap-able!-)

    John
    John J. Lee, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Anand Pillai

    Guest

    "John J. Lee" wrote:

    > Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
    > codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
    > not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
    > wrap-able!-)

    Python is noted for its poor machine efficiency vs Fortran, etc.
    However, these huge Fortran codes are noted for their poor efficiency
    when run all weekend on a supercomputer with bad code or incorrect
    parameters. Wrapping some UI, preferably GUI with charts and graphs,
    around them to see if they are running at all reasonably is a big
    improvement in efficiency. A large proportion of the runs intended
    to crunch numbers until a week from Tuesday give away their deficiency
    of correctness or relevance within a few minutes after they start,
    if they are monitored astutely.

    This is a humongousish increase of efficiency -- cancelling a multi-day
    run that was going to be a water-haul.

    Al
    , Oct 8, 2003
  4. Anand Pillai

    Tim Churches Guest

    On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 03:18, Anand Pillai wrote:
    > I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
    > uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
    > computers.

    So do their Pakistani counterparts, and since the scientists involved
    actually believe in the MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine,
    they secretly exchange Python code with each other to ensure nuclear
    parity. But the Israelis use Perl, thank goodness...

    No, not really. What a world we live in.
    --

    Tim C

    PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
    or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
    Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

    Tim Churches, Oct 8, 2003
  5. John J. Lee fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 07 October 2003
    17:08 pm:

    > Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
    > codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
    > not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
    > wrap-able!-)

    Heck, just reading the /documentation/ for NEC-2 is horrid...

    It's the only application I've ever seen that had to be compiled into
    versions for different memory sizes...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 8, 2003
  6. On 08 Oct 2003 16:09:59 +1000, Tim Churches <>
    wrote:

    >So do their Pakistani counterparts, and since the scientists involved
    >actually believe in the MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine,

    It might, perhaps, be interesting to note that 'MAD' also refers to
    Mixed Anxiety and Depression (Abnormal Psychology, Ronald J. Comer).
    This double (well, triple really) meaning seems somehow appropriate.

    There's also the classic 'SAD' for Seasonal Affective Disorder.

    IMO there should be a 'FAD' - Fashion Addiction Disorder.

    If anyone can find a description for antisocial personality disorder
    which gives the acronym 'BAD', please send the suggestion to the
    American Psychiatric Association ;-)

    --
    Steve Horne

    Stephen Horne, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Anand Pillai

    Mark Jackson Guest

    > If anyone can find a description for antisocial personality disorder
    > which gives the acronym 'BAD', please send the suggestion to the
    > American Psychiatric Association ;-)

    How about Bytecode Aversion Disorder, for those who insist that any
    language that is not compiled to machine code is worthless?

    There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old,
    and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and
    therefore better." - Dean William Inge
    Mark Jackson, Oct 10, 2003