NULL pointer in overloaded operator delete []

Rahul

Please read the following code

class Test{
public:
void * operator new [] (size_t t)
{ return malloc(t); }

void operator delete [] (void *p)
{ free(p); }
};

void main () {

Test *p= 0;

delete [] p;

/* What should happen here, Should the call go inside Test::eek:perator
delete []. Because what I learned from books is that deleting a NULL
pointer is safe (calling ::eek:perator delete[] on a NULL pointer does
not crash). But here it causes a crash on Sun CC because it gets
inside Test::eek:perator delete [] whereas on VC++ and g++ it doesn't.

Should I put a check in Test::eek:perator delete [] for "p!
=NULL"? Is Sun CC behaving as per the C++ standard?
*/
}

Thanks in advance

Andrey Tarasevich

Rahul said:
[...]

Unfortunately, the language specification is (was?) not sufficiently
clear on whether the control should go into the overloaded 'operator
delete' when the delete-expression is invoked on the null-pointer of
corresponding type, even though the standard does say that
delete-expression on null-pointer is a no-op. Apparently Sun compiler
thinks that it should be called.

Meanwhile, I don't understand why it crashes on Sun, even if it gets
into the above 'operator delete[]'. The standard 'free' function is also
a no-op on a null-pointer argument. If it crashes, that would mean that
there's a bug in Sun's 'free' implementation.

BTW, how do you know that VC and g++ don't call it? You really checked
it or you just assumed it because it didn't crash?

Rahul

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich- Hide quoted text -

Sorry for my ignorance. But that is just a dummy code which I wrote
quickly, so actually its "int main" only
and the operator delete [] does not call free(), It manages a double
linked list internally and de-references the pointer p before actually
freeing the memory. Which causes a crash.

So I wanted to know if I should put a platform specific NULL check in
operator delete [] OR should make it general. Doing that would
penalize other platforms un-necessarily, of-course the cost is not
much considering the whole application. But my point is, why to
penalize other platforms if they are behaving as per the standard (If
at all they are ).”

Andrey Tarasevich

Rahul said:
So I wanted to know if I should put a platform specific NULL check in
operator delete [] OR should make it general. Doing that would
penalize other platforms un-necessarily, of-course the cost is not
much considering the whole application. But my point is, why to
penalize other platforms if they are behaving as per the standard (If
at all they are ).”

I would recommend you to pot a _general_ null-pointer check into your
overloaded 'operator delete[]'. The reason for this is that technically
'operator delete[]' is by itself a standalone self-sufficient
resource-deallocation function. It can actually be called explicitly by
the user, should the need arise. I'd say that there's a de-facto
standard (or at least a widespread and accepted practice) to write all
resource deallocation functions so that they permit a null argument and
act as a no-op in that case.

Of course, I understand perfectly well that overloaded 'operator delete'
is not normally intended to be used as a self-sufficient function. But
nevertheless it feels like a good idea to preserve the null->no-op
guarantee for this function as well. (Standard library-provided versions
do that, BTW.) The overhead of doing the null check is less than
negligible, so I'd remove the issue of "penalizing the other platforms"
from consideration entirely.

James Kanze

Rahul said:
Please read the following code
class Test{
public:
        void * operator new [] (size_t t)
        {       return malloc(t);       }
        void operator delete [] (void *p)
        {        free(p);       }
};
void main () {
Test *p= 0;
delete [] p;
/* What should happen here,  Should the call go inside Test::eek:perator
delete []. Because what I  learned from books is that deleting a NULL
pointer is safe (calling ::eek:perator delete[] on a NULL pointer does
not crash). But here it causes a crash on Sun CC because it gets
inside Test::eek:perator delete [] whereas on VC++ and g++ it doesn't.
        Should I put a check in Test::eek:perator delete [] for "p!
=NULL"? Is Sun CC behaving as per the C++ standard?
The behaviour of your program is undefined.  'main' must
return the type 'int':

Not undefined. It's an error which requires a diagnosis.

Of course, that is completely orthogonal to his question.
    int main() {
Seriously, though, everything should be OK because 'free' is
explicitly specified as a NOP if its argument is a null
pointer.
You need to investigate further why on Sun it doesn't go into
the overloaded operator delete[].  And even if you don't
overload, the deletion (using 'delete' or 'delete[]') is
explicitly defined as OK if the argument is a null pointer.

It's still the responisiblity of operator delete (or delete[])
to check; the standard doesn't guarantee that it won't be given
a null pointer; the standard requires that it be a no-op if
given a null pointer.

But of course, all he's doing is calling free() with the pointer,
and free() is guaranteed to be a no-op when given a null
pointer, so his implementation meets the requirements.

James Kanze

Rahul said:
[...]

Or that the implementation is allowed to call it. According to
the latest draft, "The value of the first argument supplied to a
deallocation function may be a null pointer value; if so, and if
the deallocation function is one supplied in the standard
library, the call has no effect." I'm not quite sure what the
implications of that "is one supplied in the standard library"
are meant to be---taken literally, since his function is not one
provided by the standard library, the sentence wouldn't seem to
apply. But somehow, that doesn't make sense.

It may be worth raising the issue with the committee.