NullPointerException in xalan parser package

Discussion in 'XML' started by Guillaume Jeudy, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to serialize a DOM constructed from the following URL which
    is subject to change very frequently:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/syndication/feeds/news/ukfs_news/world/asia-pacific/rss091.xml

    I sometimes receive this error:

    java.lang.NullPointerException:
    at org.apache.xalan.serialize.WriterToUTF8.write(WriterToUTF8.java:101)
    at org.apache.xalan.serialize.SerializerToXML.startElement(SerializerToXML.java,
    Compiled Code)
    at org.apache.xml.utils.TreeWalker.startNode(TreeWalker.java,
    Compiled Code)
    at org.apache.xml.utils.TreeWalker.traverse(TreeWalker.java, Compiled
    Code)
    at org.apache.xalan.serialize.SerializerToXML.serialize(SerializerToXML.java:2470)
    at DynamicPortalSearchProcessor.parseDOM(DynamicPortalSearchProcessor.java,
    Compiled Code)
    at DynamicPortalSearchProcessor.processSearchSite(DynamicPortalSearchProcessor.java,
    Compiled Code)
    at DynamicPortalSearchThread.run(DynamicPortalSearchThread.java,
    Compiled Code)

    I suspect this is because the XML source is in ISO-8859-1 encoding and
    the xalan serializer that i'm using does not support this encoding
    it's trying to use UTF8 encoding... Can anyone help? I'm using the
    xalan version "j2_2_D11"

    Regards,
    Guillaume J.

    Guillaume Jeudy, Dec 9, 2003