numarray

Ben Champion

I have installed python 2.3.3 on my windows machine have have ran
several programs succesfully. I have also installed numarray 1.1 for
my version of python and am now trying to create arrays using the
array command, eg
Import Numeric
a = array([1, 2, 3])

Traceback (most recent call last):
a = array([1, 2, 3])
NameError: name 'array' is not defined

if I just enter

I get

indicating that numarray is installed correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Diez B. Roggisch

if I just enter
I get

indicating that numarray is installed correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

I doubt that that works. "Import" won't do it - it yields a syntax error.

What you meant is

import Numarray

But you have to keep in mind that importing a module that way will not put
it in the global namespace. So you have to qualify function names:

Numarray.array

Or you import them using the "from" syntax, which will bind the Numarray
names in the global namespace:

from Numarray import *

Robert Kern

Diez said:
I doubt that that works. "Import" won't do it - it yields a syntax error.

What you meant is

import Numarray

Actually,

import numarray

Note the case. In addition,

import Numeric

will import Numeric, not numarray. But otherwise, Diez is correct.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Roberto Antonio Ferreira De Almeida

Ben said:
I have installed python 2.3.3 on my windows machine have have ran
several programs succesfully. I have also installed numarray 1.1 for
my version of python and am now trying to create arrays using the
array command, eg
Import Numeric
a = array([1, 2, 3])

These are two different modules: numarray is one, and Numeric is the
other. If you installed numarray, you should use:

Also note the lowercase 'import'.

As another poster pointed out, the 'array' function is not in the global
namespace. You have to use:
>>> a = numarray.array([1,2,3])

Or alternatively:
>>> from numarray import *
>>> a = array([1,2,3])

What I usually do, since Numeric and numarray are mostly compatible is:

try:
import numarray as N
except ImportError:
import Numeric as N

a = N.array([1,2,3])

This way you'll use numarray if it is available, otherwise you fallback
to Numeric.

Diez B. Roggisch

Actually,

import numarray

Note the case. In addition,

import Numeric

will import Numeric, not numarray. But otherwise, Diez is correct.

I actually _used_ Numeric as that is what is installed on my machine :) So I
couldn't verify that Numarray is not working...