Number to string??

Mike

Why is this converted to a string???
var newidNumber =((idNumber/2).toFixed())+1;

Thanks
Mike

Henry

when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to
return a number

No thanks, I will use the unary plus operator, the Number constructor
called as a function, parseInt or parseFloat, depending on the
situation. The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
argument is a string that does not represent a number.

kendalk08

No thanks, I will use the unary plus operator, the Number constructor
called as a function, parseInt or parseFloat, depending on the
situation. The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
argument is a string that does not represent a number.

You probably know more about Javascript, but I have been coding for
about 2 years and the - eval - function has always worked for me.

Henry

On Nov 28, 10:56 am, Henry wrote:

You probably know more about Javascript,

You suggested using - eval - so we are well past "probably".
but I have been coding for about 2 years

It might be an idea to stop and RTFM soonish.
and the - eval -
function has always worked for me.

Even the worst ways of doing things 'work', otherwise they become the
best ways of not doing them.

VK

kendalk08 said the following on 11/28/2007 11:45 AM:

Who fed you that line of incompetent ignorant crap?

You mean you know a script engine where eval("2") doesn't return
typeof "number"? Which one is that (non-ECMAScript compliant by
default)?

If you foresee some dangerous consequences of eval("2") in comparison
of the +"2" trick then you should spell them for the public attention
IMHO. After all eval is not a sex with underagers or drugs to get
berserk on the combination of these four letters by itself, IMHO.

VK

Who said I did? I didn't. Anybody that uses eval(string) to convert
string to a number is an incompetent ignorant idiot.

And anyone who uses instead +"2" trick instead is a highly intelligent
experienced master who's even sh** smells just like roses? :)

Cool... Got it... Some men are so easy to please, really :)