    var newidNumber =((idNumber/2).toFixed())+1;

    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike, Nov 28, 2007

  2. Mike

    Henry Guest

    On Nov 28, 4:35 pm, Mike <> wrote:
    > Why is this converted to a string???
    > var newidNumber =((idNumber/2).toFixed())+1;

    Because the - toFixed - method returns a string.
    Henry, Nov 28, 2007

  3. Mike

    kendalk08 Guest

    On Nov 28, 10:37 am, Henry <> wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 4:35 pm, Mike <> wrote:
    >
    > > Why is this converted to a string???
    > > var newidNumber =((idNumber/2).toFixed())+1;

    > Because the - toFixed - method returns a string.

    when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to return a
    number
    kendalk08, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Mike

    Henry Guest

    On Nov 28, 4:45 pm, kendalk08 <> wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 10:37 am, Henry <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 28, 4:35 pm, Mike <> wrote:

    > > > Why is this converted to a string???
    > > > var newidNumber =((idNumber/2).toFixed())+1;

    > > Because the - toFixed - method returns a string.

    > when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to
    > return a number

    No thanks, I will use the unary plus operator, the Number constructor
    called as a function, parseInt or parseFloat, depending on the
    situation. The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
    use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
    argument is a string that does not represent a number.
    Henry, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Mike

    kendalk08 Guest

    On Nov 28, 10:56 am, Henry <> wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 4:45 pm, kendalk08 <> wrote:

    > > > Because the - toFixed - method returns a string.

    > > when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to
    > > return a number

    > No thanks, I will use the unary plus operator, the Number constructor
    > called as a function, parseInt or parseFloat, depending on the
    > situation. The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
    > use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
    > argument is a string that does not represent a number.

    You probably know more about Javascript, but I have been coding for
    about 2 years and the - eval - function has always worked for me.
    kendalk08, Nov 28, 2007
  6. Mike

    Henry Guest

    On Nov 28, 4:57 pm, kendalk08 wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 10:56 am, Henry wrote:

    <snip>
    >>> when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to
    >>> return a number

    <snip>
    >> ... . The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
    >> use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
    >> argument is a string that does not represent a number.

    > You probably know more about Javascript,

    You suggested using - eval - so we are well past "probably".

    > but I have been coding for about 2 years

    It might be an idea to stop and RTFM soonish.

    > and the - eval -
    > function has always worked for me.

    Even the worst ways of doing things 'work', otherwise they become the
    best ways of not doing them.
    Henry, Nov 28, 2007
  7. On Nov 28, 12:06 pm, Henry <> wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 4:57 pm, kendalk08 wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 28, 10:56 am, Henry wrote:

    > <snip>

    > <snip>
    > >> ... . The - eval - function would be the absolute worst method to
    > >> use, particularly as its behaviour is unpredictable whenever its
    > >> argument is a string that does not represent a number.

    > > You probably know more about Javascript,

    > You suggested using - eval - so we are well past "probably".

    There are such things as manners--this sentence was probably
    unnecessary.
    nolo contendere, Nov 28, 2007
  8. Mike

    VK Guest

    On Nov 29, 3:00 am, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > kendalk08 said the following on 11/28/2007 11:45 AM:

    > >> Because the - toFixed - method returns a string.

    > > when you want to use the variable as a number use eval() to return a
    > > number

    > Who fed you that line of incompetent ignorant crap?

    You mean you know a script engine where eval("2") doesn't return
    typeof "number"? Which one is that (non-ECMAScript compliant by
    default)?

    If you foresee some dangerous consequences of eval("2") in comparison
    of the +"2" trick then you should spell them for the public attention
    IMHO. After all eval is not a sex with underagers or drugs to get
    berserk on the combination of these four letters by itself, IMHO.
    VK, Nov 29, 2007
  9. Mike

    VK Guest

    On Nov 29, 12:25 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > > You mean you know a script engine where eval("2") doesn't return
    > > typeof "number"?

    > Who said I did? I didn't. Anybody that uses eval(string) to convert
    > string to a number is an incompetent ignorant idiot.

    And anyone who uses instead +"2" trick instead is a highly intelligent
    experienced master who's even sh** smells just like roses? :)

    Cool... Got it... Some men are so easy to please, really :)
    VK, Nov 29, 2007