Numbers in ordered lists

Luigi Donatello Asero

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

Use ordered list
<ol>
<li>
<li>
<li>
<li>
<li>
<li>
<li>
<li>
</ol>
Yes, but I have already <ol>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ol>

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
Yes, but I have already <ol>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ol>

<ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>

all I see is <ul>

Try <ol type="1">

Neal

While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

<ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>

all I see is <ul>

Try <ol type="1">

That's deprecated, so watch the doctype. Besides, type="1" is default
anyhow.

This HTML

<ol>
</ol>

will be rendered similar to this.

1. blah blah blah.

2. blah blah blah.

blah blah blah.

3. blah blah blah.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neal said:
That's deprecated, so watch the doctype. Besides, type="1" is default
anyhow.

This HTML

<ol>
</ol>

will be rendered similar to this.

1. blah blah blah.

2. blah blah blah.

blah blah blah.

3. blah blah blah.

It seems to work now on the page
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html.
On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html , however
the numeration should continue from the previous page and not beginning from
1.
I wonder how I could do that.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

<ol start="7"></ol>

If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

So change your DOCTYPE
Validates As HTML 4.01 Transitional (Tentatively Valid)!
http://tinyurl.com/2xn9b

Neal

If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you want
in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.

You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup, but you
get the effect and it validates strict.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neal said:
Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you want
in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.

You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup, but you
get the effect and it validates strict.
I think that numbering manually is the best solution.
Now the page validates as HTML 4.01 strict. However the link to show that I
validated the page does not work.
I am wondering why.

http://validator.w3.org/check? uri=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html

Andrew Urquhart

*Neal* said:
Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you
want in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.

You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup,
but you get the effect and it validates strict.

Perhaps more of a kludge is to have list markup, turn off the list
styling and then use manual numbering.

<ol>
<li>1. Oreos</li>
<li>2. Butter biscuits</li>
<li>3. Rich tea fingers</li>
<li>4. Milk chocolate digestives</li>
</ol>

ol {
list-style: none;
}

I wasn't sure what JAWS would make of it, but provided the CSS is used
it reads in IE as (half-second pauses on commas) "List of 4 items 1,
Oreos 2, Butter biscuits 3, Rich tea fingers 4, Milk chocolate
digestives list end". The non-list markup version reads *exactly* the
same except the opening and closing list announcements are missing. So
it would seem that in JAWS at least there is some use to the above
method. Better would be if JAWS paused at the end of each list item or
paused on a comma at the end of each one, but it didn't when tested with
default reader settings.