Numbers in ordered lists

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, May 5, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 5, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mitja Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero <>
    (news:uzVlc.58020$) wrote:
    > How can I display numbers (1-2-3-4-5, a number for each paragraph) in
    > the ordered list which I used on the following page?
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html

    Um... but you already do. Or did you mean without the dots?

    There are ways to do it using CSS, but it's poorly supported, so if you
    insist on plain numbers, use manual numbering.

    Mitja

    Mitja, May 5, 2004

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

    > How can I display numbers (1-2-3-4-5, a number for each paragraph) in the
    > ordered list which I used on the following page?
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html

    Use ordered list
    <ol>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    </ol>

    --
    Duende

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  4. "Duende" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > How can I display numbers (1-2-3-4-5, a number for each paragraph) in

    the
    > > ordered list which I used on the following page?
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html
    > >

    > Use ordered list
    > <ol>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > <li>
    > </ol>
    >
    > --
    > Duende

    Yes, but I have already <ol>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    </ol>

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk/sv/italienkarta.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 6, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

    > Yes, but I have already <ol>
    > <li></li>
    > <li></li>
    > <li></li>
    > <li></li>
    > <li></li>
    > </ol>

    <ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>

    all I see is <ul>

    Try <ol type="1">

    --
    Duende

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    On 6 May 2004 17:30:46 GMT, Duende <> wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    >
    >> Yes, but I have already <ol>
    >> <li></li>
    >> <li></li>
    >> <li></li>
    >> <li></li>
    >> <li></li>
    >> </ol>

    > <ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>
    >
    > all I see is <ul>
    >
    > Try <ol type="1">

    That's deprecated, so watch the doctype. Besides, type="1" is default
    anyhow.

    This HTML

    <ol>
    </ol>

    will be rendered similar to this.

    1. blah blah blah.

    2. blah blah blah.

    blah blah blah.

    3. blah blah blah.

    Neal, May 6, 2004
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:

    > Besides, type="1" is default anyhow

    I knew that. That's why I didn't put it in the first time. :)

    --
    Duende

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  8. "Neal" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On 6 May 2004 17:30:46 GMT, Duende <> wrote:
    >
    > > While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    > >
    > >> Yes, but I have already <ol>
    > >> <li></li>
    > >> <li></li>
    > >> <li></li>
    > >> <li></li>
    > >> <li></li>
    > >> </ol>

    > > <ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>
    > >
    > > all I see is <ul>
    > >
    > > Try <ol type="1">
    > >

    > That's deprecated, so watch the doctype. Besides, type="1" is default
    > anyhow.
    >
    > This HTML
    >
    > <ol>
    > </ol>
    >
    > will be rendered similar to this.
    >
    > 1. blah blah blah.
    >
    > 2. blah blah blah.
    >
    > blah blah blah.
    >
    > 3. blah blah blah.

    It seems to work now on the page
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html.
    On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html , however
    the numeration should continue from the previous page and not beginning from
    1.
    I wonder how I could do that.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 6, 2004
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Duende, May 7, 2004
  10. "Duende" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > It seems to work now on the page
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html.
    > > On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html ,
    > > however the numeration should continue from the previous page and not
    > > beginning from 1.
    > > I wonder how I could do that

    > <ol start="7"></ol>
    >
    > --
    > Duende

    If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
    validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 7, 2004
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:

    > "Duende" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    >>
    >> > It seems to work now on the page
    >> > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html.
    >> > On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html ,
    >> > however the numeration should continue from the previous page and

    not
    >> > beginning from 1.
    >> > I wonder how I could do that

    >> <ol start="7"></ol>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duende

    > If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does

    not
    > validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

    So change your DOCTYPE
    Validates As HTML 4.01 Transitional (Tentatively Valid)!
    http://tinyurl.com/2xn9b

    --
    Duende

    Duende, May 7, 2004
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 00:27:38 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    >> > however the numeration should continue from the previous page and not
    >> > beginning from 1.
    >> > I wonder how I could do that

    >> <ol start="7"></ol>
    >>

    > If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
    > validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

    Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you want
    in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.

    You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup, but you
    get the effect and it validates strict.

    Neal, May 7, 2004
  13. "Neal" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> <ol start="7"></ol>
    > >>

    > > If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does

    not
    > > validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

    > Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you want
    > in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.
    >
    > You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup, but you
    > get the effect and it validates strict.

    I think that numbering manually is the best solution.
    Now the page validates as HTML 4.01 strict. However the link to show that I
    validated the page does not work.
    I am wondering why.

    http://validator.w3.org/check? uri=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 7, 2004
  14. *Neal* wrote:
    > Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you
    > want in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.
    >
    > You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup,
    > but you get the effect and it validates strict.

    Perhaps more of a kludge is to have list markup, turn off the list
    styling and then use manual numbering.

    <ol>
    <li>1. Oreos</li>
    <li>2. Butter biscuits</li>
    <li>3. Rich tea fingers</li>
    <li>4. Milk chocolate digestives</li>
    </ol>

    ol {
    list-style: none;
    }

    I wasn't sure what JAWS would make of it, but provided the CSS is used
    it reads in IE as (half-second pauses on commas) "List of 4 items 1,
    Oreos 2, Butter biscuits 3, Rich tea fingers 4, Milk chocolate
    digestives list end". The non-list markup version reads *exactly* the
    same except the opening and closing list announcements are missing. So
    it would seem that in JAWS at least there is some use to the above
    method. Better would be if JAWS paused at the end of each list item or
    paused on a comma at the end of each one, but it didn't when tested with
    default reader settings.
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - FAQ: www.html-faq.com