    At this point my interest is just sort of general, fast array
    manipulation and DSP.

    Thanks!
    Erik Johnson, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Erik Johnson

    Robert Kern Guest

    Erik Johnson wrote:
    > I am just starting to explore doing some scientific type data analysis
    > using Python, and am a little confused by the different incarnations of
    > modules (e.g., try Google("Python numeric").
    >
    > There is SciPy, NumPy, NumArray, Numeric... I know some of these are
    > related and some are separate, some are oudated, etc. but can someone sort
    > of give a general run-down in layman's terms of what's what, what's used for
    > what, what depends on what, and what's current?

    http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy

    numpy is the current array package and supercedes Numeric and numarray. scipy
    provides a bunch of computational routines (linear algebra, optimization,
    statistics, signal processing, etc.) built on top of numpy.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Erik Johnson

    Ene Guest

    On Mar 27, 9:49 am, "Erik Johnson" <> wrote:
    > I am just starting to explore doing some scientific type data analysis
    > using Python, and am a little confused by the different incarnations of
    > modules (e.g., try Google("Python numeric").
    >
    > There is SciPy, NumPy, NumArray, Numeric... I know some of these are
    > related and some are separate, some are oudated, etc. but can someone sort
    > of give a general run-down in layman's terms of what's what, what's used for
    > what, what depends on what, and what's current?
    >
    > At this point my interest is just sort of general, fast array
    > manipulation and DSP.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Numeric was slow at large-arrays, so numarray was born. Well numarray
    turned out to be slow at small arrays, so numpy was born. It is trying
    to merge Numeric and Numpy together. As it stands Matplotlib does not
    support numpy (thus my suggestion to install two of the three - my
    choice: numarray + numpy)
    Ene, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Erik Johnson

    Robert Kern Guest

    Ene wrote:
    > As it stands Matplotlib does not
    > support numpy (thus my suggestion to install two of the three - my
    > choice: numarray + numpy)

    matplotlib certainly supports numpy.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Erik Johnson

    Erik Johnson Guest

    "Robert Kern" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy
    >
    > numpy is the current array package and supercedes Numeric and numarray.

    scipy
    > provides a bunch of computational routines (linear algebra, optimization,
    > statistics, signal processing, etc.) built on top of numpy.

    Thank you.
    Erik Johnson, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Erik Johnson

    Harry George Guest

    "Erik Johnson" <> writes:

    > "Robert Kern" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy
    > >
    > > numpy is the current array package and supercedes Numeric and numarray.

    > scipy
    > > provides a bunch of computational routines (linear algebra, optimization,
    > > statistics, signal processing, etc.) built on top of numpy.

    > Thank you.

    Also see gsl and its python binding.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygsl