    for LU decomposition/solve.

    Appreciate any comments.

    Ken
    Ken, Feb 15, 2012

  2. Ken

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2/17/12 6:09 AM, Tim Roberts wrote:
    > Ken<> wrote:
    >>
    >> Brand new Python user and a bit overwhelmed with the variety of
    >> packages available. Any recommendation for performing numerical
    >> linear algebra (specifically least squares and generalized least
    >> squares using QR or SVD) in arbitrary precision? I've been looking at
    >> mpmath but can't seem to find much info on built in functions except
    >> for LU decomposition/solve.

    > It is been my experience that numpy is the best place to start with
    > requests like this, although I don't know whether it will actually solve
    > your specific tasks:
    >
    > http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/routines.linalg.html

    This will not do arbitrary-precision, though. We use the double- and
    single-precision routines from LAPACK.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Feb 17, 2012

  3. In article <>,
    Ken <> wrote:
    >Brand new Python user and a bit overwhelmed with the variety of
    >packages available. Any recommendation for performing numerical
    >linear algebra (specifically least squares and generalized least
    >squares using QR or SVD) in arbitrary precision? I've been looking at
    >mpmath but can't seem to find much info on built in functions except
    >for LU decomposition/solve.

    Arbitrary precision? As in automatically increasing precision to
    stay exact? You will find this impractical as the number of decimals
    will explode, or you will find it not at all.

    If you mean that you want to be able to select something with larger
    precision than single or double floats, numpy is the starting point.

    >Appreciate any comments.
    >
    >Ken

    Groetjes Albert

    Albert van der Horst, Feb 27, 2012