numerical ruby?

serialhex

does anybody know of any good, high-speed numerical ruby libraries, kind of
like numpy for python? any help is appreciated.

justin

Michael Edgar

No they're not, and what serialhex was asking about is completely =
reasonable. Numpy is a
C-based Python library that provides high-speed math operations of all =
sorts. Since Python and
Ruby 1.9 are quite comparable in terms of performance, it's not at all =
unreasonable
to ask if a counterpart to numpy exists for Ruby. Your dismissal is =
unwarranted.

http://narray.rubyforge.org/ is an old library that handles matrix and =
vector operations.
It doesn't offer all of numpy's options. Unfortunately, there are few =
alternatives for Ruby.

Michael Edgar
(e-mail address removed)
http://carboni.ca/

serialhex

SWEET!! thank you both Matz & Michael, NArray looks like it might work for
what i'm looking at.

Justin

No they're not, and what serialhex was asking about is completely
reasonable. Numpy is a
C-based Python library that provides high-speed math operations of all
sorts. Since Python and
Ruby 1.9 are quite comparable in terms of performance, it's not at all
unreasonable
to ask if a counterpart to numpy exists for Ruby. Your dismissal is
unwarranted.

http://narray.rubyforge.org/ is an old library that handles matrix and
vector operations.
It doesn't offer all of numpy's options. Unfortunately, there are few
alternatives for Ruby.

Michael Edgar
(e-mail address removed)
http://carboni.ca/

7

7stud --

Michael Edgar wrote in post #990103:
No they're not, and what serialhex was asking about is completely
reasonable. Numpy is a
C-based Python library that provides high-speed math operations of all
sorts.

I know a little python, myself.
Since Python and
Ruby 1.9 are quite comparable in terms of performance, it's not at all
unreasonable
to ask if a counterpart to numpy exists for Ruby. Your dismissal is
unwarranted.

What? Where?

Michael Edgar

Here's the shootout results for:

1.9 vs. Python 2.x:
=
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=3Dall&lang=3Dyarv=
&lang2=3Dpython

1.9 vs. Python 3:
=
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=3Dall&lang=3Dyarv=
&lang2=3Dpython3

PyPy does a bit better, but the shootout doesn't support Rubinius. A =
1-3x difference
is quite comparable when both languages are currently up to 2 orders of =
magnitude
slower than others. Plus Ruby even wins some benchmarks by smaller =
margins.

Michael Edgar
(e-mail address removed)
http://carboni.ca/

Cameron McBride

narray is great. and if you need more capabilities, there are several
GSL bindings (I still use rb-gsl.rubyforge.org).

I've been using ruby for "fast" numerics and regular calculations for
a number of years, and been quite happy with them.

Cameron

No they're not, and what serialhex was asking about is completely reasonable. Numpy is a
C-based Python library that provides high-speed math operations of all sorts. Since Python and
Ruby 1.9 are quite comparable in terms of performance, it's not at all unreasonable
to ask if a counterpart to numpy exists for Ruby. Your dismissal is unwarranted.

http://narray.rubyforge.org/ is an old library that handles matrix and vector operations.
It doesn't offer all of numpy's options. Unfortunately, there are few alternatives for Ruby.

Michael Edgar
(e-mail address removed)
http://carboni.ca/

Colin Bartlett

does anybody know of any good, high-speed numerical ruby libraries, kind = of
like numpy for python? =A0any help is appreciated.

Apart from the possibilities others have mentioned, there is also
JRuby, which makes it easy to include Java code in a Ruby program.
I've used JRuby writing my own Java code for the numerical processing
which needs to be fast. I haven't tried using "standard" Java
libraries, but I assume that if one can include one's own Java
"libraries" in a Ruby program, it shouldn't be too hard to do that
with standard Java libraries.