Numpy.array with dtype works on list of tuples not on list of lists?

Alex van der Spek

Why does this not work?
dat=[[1,2,3],[4,5,6]]
col=[('a','f4'),('b','f4'),('c','f4')]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#91>", line 1, in <module>
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
TypeError: expected a readable buffer object
But this does:
dat=[(1,2,3),(4,5,6)]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
arr
array([(1.0, 2.0, 3.0), (4.0, 5.0, 6.0)],
dtype=[('a', '<f4'), ('b', '<f4'), ('c', '<f4')])
The only difference that the object is a list of tuples now?

Thanks for clarification,
Alex van der Spek

Philip Semanchuk

Why does this not work?
dat=[[1,2,3],[4,5,6]]
col=[('a','f4'),('b','f4'),('c','f4')]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#91>", line 1, in <module>
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
TypeError: expected a readable buffer object

But this does:
dat=[(1,2,3),(4,5,6)]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
arr
array([(1.0, 2.0, 3.0), (4.0, 5.0, 6.0)], dtype=[('a', '<f4'), ('b', '<f4'), ('c', '<f4')])

The only difference that the object is a list of tuples now?

I don't know why you're seeing what you're seeing, but if you don't get answer here you could try asking on the numpy list.

Good luck
Philip

Robert Kern

Why does this not work?
dat=[[1,2,3],[4,5,6]]
col=[('a','f4'),('b','f4'),('c','f4')]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#91>", line 1, in <module>
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
TypeError: expected a readable buffer object
But this does:
dat=[(1,2,3),(4,5,6)]
arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
arr
array([(1.0, 2.0, 3.0), (4.0, 5.0, 6.0)], dtype=[('a', '<f4'), ('b', '<f4'),
('c', '<f4')])
The only difference that the object is a list of tuples now?

numpy questions are best asked on the numpy mailing list:

http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

To answer your question, though, numpy.array() needs to figure out a lot of
different things about the input data simultaneously, in particular its shape.
Structured arrays (i.e. with elements that have individual fields as above) pose
a new problem in that its individual elements are sequences themselves. In order
to help it decide whether it should recurse down into a sequence to find its
elements or decide that the sequence *is* an element in its own right, we
settled on the convention that tuples are to be considered elements and that
lists are sequences of elements.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."