NumPy installation won't import correctly

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ethos, Dec 1, 2009.

  1. Ethos

    Ethos Guest

    I installed NumPy for python 2.6 on my leopard macbook, using the
    nifty mac installer they now provide. I have the 2.6 official python
    distro installed on my computer, in addition to the 2.5 that is native
    on the mac. When I went to test out the installation, with 2.6, it
    gave me this:

    >>> import numpy

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 132, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    from lib import add_newdoc
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from type_check import *
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    import multiarray
    ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so, 2): no suitable
    image found. Did find:
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: unknown required load command
    0x80000022

    The file that it claims it can't find a suitable image for does in
    fact exist in that directory. I'm stumped.

    Funny thing is, when I imported it using python2.5, it worked just
    fine. numpy.test(1,10) ran without a hitch.

    Thanks for the help. Please redirect me if this question belongs
    elsewhere.
    Ethos, Dec 1, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ethos wrote:

    > I installed NumPy for python 2.6 on my leopard macbook, using the
    > nifty mac installer they now provide. I have the 2.6 official python
    > distro installed on my computer, in addition to the 2.5 that is native
    > on the mac. When I went to test out the installation, with 2.6, it
    > gave me this:
    >
    >>>> import numpy

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 132, in <module>
    > import add_newdocs
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    > from lib import add_newdoc
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    > from type_check import *
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    > import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    > import multiarray
    > ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    > lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so, 2): no suitable
    > image found. Did find:
    > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    > packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: unknown required load command
    > 0x80000022
    >
    > The file that it claims it can't find a suitable image for does in
    > fact exist in that directory. I'm stumped.
    >
    > Funny thing is, when I imported it using python2.5, it worked just
    > fine. numpy.test(1,10) ran without a hitch.


    Looks like a binary format issue to me. What does


    file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so

    give you, and how does it compare to

    file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python

    Maybe you need to strip the binaries to your native arch, using lipo.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 1, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ethos <> wrote:

    >I installed NumPy for python 2.6 on my leopard macbook, using the
    >nifty mac installer they now provide. I have the 2.6 official python
    >distro installed on my computer, in addition to the 2.5 that is native
    >on the mac. When I went to test out the installation, with 2.6, it
    >gave me this:
    >
    >>>> import numpy

    >Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    >python2.6/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 132, in <module>
    > import add_newdocs
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    >python2.6/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    > from lib import add_newdoc
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    >python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    > from type_check import *
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    >python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    > import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    >python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    > import multiarray
    >ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    >lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so, 2): no suitable
    >image found. Did find:
    > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    >packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: unknown required load command
    >0x80000022


    I had the same problem when I tried to use the MacPorts installation of
    python3 within blender2.5alpha0 (I pointed the PYTHONPATH to the
    respective MacPorts python3 folder). I figured out, that the blender
    binary is a 64bit one, but the libraries of the MacPorts python3 are
    32bit ones and these two don't fit together.

    Then I found out, that -- as opposed to blender 2.4x -- blender 2.5
    comes with all the standard python library bundled. So I'm fine with the
    pure blender 2.5 for the testing.



    Best regards,

    Günther
    Günther Dietrich, Dec 1, 2009
    #3
  4. Ethos

    Ethos Guest

    On Dec 1, 3:33 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote:
    > Ethos wrote:
    > > I installed NumPy for python 2.6 on my leopard macbook, using the
    > > nifty mac installer they now provide. I have the 2.6 official python
    > > distro installed on my computer, in addition to the 2.5 that is native
    > > on the mac. When I went to test out the installation, with 2.6, it
    > > gave me this:

    >
    > >>>> import numpy

    > > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    > >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 132, in <module>
    > >     import add_newdocs
    > >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    > >     from lib import add_newdoc
    > >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    > >     from type_check import *
    > >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    > >     import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    > >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
    > > python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    > >     import multiarray
    > > ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
    > > lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so, 2): no suitable
    > > image found.  Did find:
    > > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    > > packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: unknown required load command
    > > 0x80000022

    >
    > > The file that it claims it can't find a suitable image for does in
    > > fact exist in that directory. I'm stumped.

    >
    > > Funny thing is, when I imported it using python2.5, it worked just
    > > fine. numpy.test(1,10) ran without a hitch.

    >
    > Looks like a binary format issue to me. What does
    >
    > file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so
    >
    > give you, and how does it compare to
    >
    > file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
    >
    > Maybe you need to strip the binaries to your native arch, using lipo.
    >
    > Diez


    I reinstalled numpy, from sourceforge, even though I had already
    installed the latest version. Same business. 2.5 imports fine, 2.6
    doesn't.

    Here's the output of the commands you gave me.

    d166-54-tercero-infill-a-1:~ kevin$ file /Library/Frameworks/
    Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/
    multiarray.so
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: Mach-O universal binary with 2
    architectures
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O
    bundle ppc
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-
    packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so (for architecture i386): Mach-O
    bundle i386
    d166-54-tercero-infill-a-1:~ kevin$ file /Library/Frameworks/
    Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python: Mach-O
    universal binary with 2 architectures
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python (for
    architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python (for
    architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

    I don't know if this helps. Thanks for the help everyone.

    Kevin
    Ethos, Dec 2, 2009
    #4
  5. On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Ethos <> wrote:

    >
    > I reinstalled numpy, from sourceforge, even though I had already
    > installed the latest version. Same business. 2.5 imports fine, 2.6
    > doesn't.
    >
    > Here's the output of the commands you gave me.


    Which exact version of mac os x are you using ? (the output of sw_vers
    -productVersion
    would be fine).

    David
    David Cournapeau, Dec 2, 2009
    #5
  6. Ethos

    Ethos Guest

    On Dec 1, 6:37 pm, David Cournapeau <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Ethos <> wrote:
    >
    > > I reinstalled numpy, from sourceforge, even though I had already
    > > installed the latest version. Same business. 2.5 imports fine, 2.6
    > > doesn't.

    >
    > > Here's the output of the commands you gave me.

    >
    > Which exact version of mac os x are you using ? (the output of sw_vers
    > -productVersion
    >  would be fine).
    >
    > David


    ProductName: Mac OS X
    ProductVersion: 10.5.8
    BuildVersion: 9L30

    Kevin
    Ethos, Dec 2, 2009
    #6
  7. Ethos

    Alex Guest

    On Dec 1, 7:04 pm, Ethos <> wrote:
    > On Dec 1, 6:37 pm, David Cournapeau <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Ethos <> wrote:

    >
    > > > I reinstallednumpy, from sourceforge, even though I had already
    > > > installed the latest version. Same business. 2.5 imports fine, 2.6
    > > > doesn't.

    >
    > > > Here's the output of the commands you gave me.

    >
    > > Which exact version of mac os x are you using ? (the output of sw_vers
    > > -productVersion
    > >  would be fine).

    >
    > > David

    >
    > ProductName:    Mac OS X
    > ProductVersion: 10.5.8
    > BuildVersion:   9L30
    >
    > Kevin


    I am also trying to install numpy 1.4 and observing exactly the same
    symptoms as Kevin (unsurprisingly, since it's a very similar
    installation: BuildVersion of 10.5.8 is 9L31a, otherwise identical).
    I can also reproduce the problem with the 2.5 version of the 1.4 rc1
    numpy DMG (with macpython 2.5.4 from python.org -- it refuses to
    install using Apple's own 2.5.1). Is there any known-to-work way to
    install numpy 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.8, and Python either 2.5 or 2.6?
    Guess next I'll try building from sources...


    Alex
    Alex, Dec 6, 2009
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. drife
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    349
    Travis E. Oliphant
    Mar 1, 2006
  2. Duncan Smith
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    405
    Duncan Smith
    Apr 25, 2007
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    477
    Robert Kern
    Nov 13, 2007
  4. W. eWatson
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    910
    W. eWatson
    Nov 23, 2009
  5. Tom Kacvinsky

    Installing numpy over an older numpy

    Tom Kacvinsky, Jun 15, 2012, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    332
    Miki Tebeka
    Jun 15, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page