    of increasing it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Manso

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuc28=?=, Aug 9, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuc28=?=

    bruce barker Guest

    asp.net works by compiling all the code for site and loading it into the
    appdomain (where the session variables are). if you change code, it must be
    recompiled and loaded into memory. there is no way to remove code from
    memory except for unloading a domain (apprestart in asp.net).

    so bumping for 15-50, will only increase your memory footprint. there is
    also a setting of how large memory can get before a reset, so you may have
    to bump this also.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    "Manso" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've tried to read and understand the implication of the
    > numRecompilesBeforeAppRestart attribute in <compile> in web/machine.config
    > and would appreciate if someone could explain the implication of

    increasing
    > this value for 15 to, say 50.
    >
    > We have an application that potentionally could take a while to start and
    > also can modify ascx and/or aspx files every now and then (because of a

    built
    > in templating tool). Right now the application is reastarted every 15 time
    > (not exactly in our case...trying to figure out exactly when it happens)
    > which will kill all session variables (which can't be stored on MSSQL). We
    > would like to increase this value to be able make it happen less frequent.
    > When is the counter reset? On application restart? What are the side

    effects

    bruce barker, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Thanks Bruce.

    I forgot to mention, the only files that are changed are:

    - ascx with "src=" linked .cs or .vb files (i.e. logic do not reside in main
    assembly)
    - aspx files with "src=" linked .cs or .vb files

    These are not stored below /bin. This also seem to increase the counter.
    These files are compiled at runtime anyway and I can't see why they have to
    unload the entire appdomain. The appdomain doesn't seem to be restarted when
    they are loaded.

    Thanks,
    - Manso

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuc28=?=, Aug 10, 2004