nvu and "frames"

melissa.gruber

I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.

I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
"frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.

Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

Marc Bradshaw

[...]

#blah { ... }

or

div#blah { ... }
Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

Textpad - get from www.textpad.com (doesn't cost an arm or a leg)

Notepad - get from start > run > notepad (doesn't even cost a finger)

Marc

Jim Scott

[...]

I use nvu, having moved from Fpage.
True it will not create frames, but it coped with them if you create then
elsewhere. During the learning process I found notepad++
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
I then went here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp to learn
what to do.
I sue them as photo pages.

dorayme

From: "Paul Watt said:
Why on earth would you want to use frames??
Paul

Look back over the various discussions on this newsgroup and you will see
there are reasons. They may not be decisive reasons, frames may not be so
wise in general but it is not as if there are no reasons on God's earth...

dorayme

dorayme

From: Jim Scott said:
You go your way and I'll go mine.

And shall we never meet again?
Must it be Old Lange Syne?

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind;
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And days of old lang syne.

For old lang syne, my dear,
For old lang syne,
We'll take a cup of kindness yet,
For old lang syne.

We two have run about the hills,
And pulled the daisies fine.
We've wandered many a weary foot,
Since old lang syne.

We two have paddled in the burn,
From morning sun till dine,
But seas between us broad have roared,
Since old lang syne.

And here's a hand my trusty friend,
And put your hand in mine.
We'll take a right good willie-waught,
For old lang syne.

And surely you'll lift up your glass,
For surely I'll lift mine,
And we'll drink a cup of kindness yet,
For old lang syne.

dorayme

Jim Scott

You say you love me
And you're thinkin' of me,
But you know you could be wrong.
You say you told me
That you wanna hold me,
But you know you're not that strong.
I just can't do what I done before,
I just can't beg you any more.
I'm gonna let you pass
And I'll go last.
Then time will tell just who has fell
And who's been left behind,
When you go your way and I go mine.

You say you disturb me
And you don't deserve me,
But you know sometimes you lie.
You say you're shakin'
And you're always achin',
But you know how hard you try.
Sometimes it gets so hard to care,
It can't be this way ev'rywhere.
And I'm gonna let you pass,
Yes, and I'll go last.
Then time will tell just who has fell
And who's been left behind,
When you go your way and I go mine.

The judge, he holds a grudge,
He's gonna call on you.
But he's badly built
And he walks on stilts,
Watch out he don't fall on you.

You say you're sorry
For tellin' stories
That you know I believe are true.
You say ya got some
Other kinda lover
And yes, I believe you do.
You say my kisses are not like his,
But this time I'm not gonna tell you why that is.
I'm just gonna let you pass,
Yes, and I'll go last.
Then time will tell who fell
And who's been left behind,
When you go your way and I go mine.

Bob Dylan

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jim Scott quothed
You say you love me
And you're thinkin' of me,
But you know you could be wrong.
You say you told me
That you wanna hold me,
But you know you're not that strong.
I just can't do what I done before,
I just can't beg you any more.
I'm gonna let you pass
And I'll go last.
Then time will tell just who has fell
And who's been left behind,
When you go your way and I go mine.

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
Eating some chocolate ants.

Along came a spider
And sat down beside her
And made her shit in her pants.

- Neredbojias

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Paul Watt quothed
Why on earth would you want to use frames??
Paul

Did you ever stop to think that maybe he's *not* from this planet?

SpaceGirl

Paul said:
Why on earth would you want to use frames??
Paul

A throw-away statement like that doesn't help anyone and indicates a
lack of understanding of web technologies :ppp

There are many *good* design reasons for using Frames. There is nothing
WRONG with frames. The only issue with them is when misused they can
have a lot of negative effects on the user experience and search engines
etc. However as part of a well thought out design they are just like any
other web technology.

The same could be said of almost anything you do on a web page.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Paul Watt

SpaceGirl said:
A throw-away statement like that doesn't help anyone and indicates a lack
of understanding of web technologies :ppp

There are many *good* design reasons for using Frames. There is nothing
WRONG with frames. The only issue with them is when misused they can have
a lot of negative effects on the user experience and search engines etc.
However as part of a well thought out design they are just like any other
web technology.

The same could be said of almost anything you do on a web page.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Ok, I apologise for the throw away remark, but it just baffles me that
HTML/Web design for beginners books still teach about frames.
I realise that there are *some* good reasons for using frames, but surely
the Bad outweighs the good.

As for an simple alternative, couldn't he just use a DIV with overflow set
to Auto?

Paul

dorayme

From: "Paul Watt said:
Ok, I apologise for the throw away remark, but it just baffles me that
HTML/Web design for beginners books still teach about frames.
I realise that there are *some* good reasons for using frames, but surely
the Bad outweighs the good.

As for an simple alternative, couldn't he just use a DIV with overflow set
to Auto?

As far as I have heard, this is not as well supported as frames.

dorayme