O.T. domain registering?

Joe Mamma

Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought I
would ask this group.
Thanks.

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Joe Mamma said:
Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought
I would ask this group.

I've always preferred eNom.com. The management interface is easy and
straightforward - and gives you alot of options. I didn't care for
godaddy.com.

--Tina

Travis Newbury

Joe said:
Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought I
would ask this group.
Thanks.

I have 17 domains registered with them, and have not had any problems..

Adrienne

Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and
they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for,
thought I would ask this group.
Thanks.

I've got a bunch of domains registered with them, and I've never had a
problem. My only complaint with them is they try to sell stuff that a
novice might not know is not essential.

BruceB

Joe Mamma said:
Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought
I would ask this group.
Thanks.

Well, they got a Site Builder that's a real piece of crap.

I think the main thing is that you want them to stay in business.. And
have a decent interface..

Personally, I use hostway.com and am pretty happy with them. The few
times I had a question, they got right back with a personally crafted
answer. I used to use Dotster but switched away from them as I didn't like
the GUI as well plus hostway is cheaper by a lot.

Like everyone else, I'd stay away from Network Solutions, and if you've
heard Register.com's radio ads you would probably stay away from that scammy
outfit..

Best of luck to you..

Bruce

Kim André Akerø

Joe Mamma said:
Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought I
would ask this group.
Thanks.

I recommend GoDaddy.com from the bottom of my heart. I registered my first
domain with them back in 2001, and now I have 55 domains in my account with
them. I've never had a problem from their end so far.

I've even transferred a few of my .info domains to my account at GoDaddy.com
without major problems (there was just a slight misunderstanding in
communications at the previous registrar that held up the transfer for a
little bit, but that worked out just fine).

Fred Atkinson

Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought I
would ask this group.
Thanks.

I've never used them for domain registration. I wanted to use
their email service and asked if I could point my MX record at them
and let them handle the email for my Network Solutions registered
domain. They told me that that could be done, so I signed up. I was
not able to get it to work, so I called them and asked 'What gives?'.
Then, they told me that whomever had told me that had told me wrong.
They refunded my money without any argument. Apparently, a year
later, they charged my credit card for renewal and I missed it.
During that following year, I changed my credit card number. So, when
they tried to bill me for yet the next year, it bounced and they
contacted me about it.

They refunded the subsequent billing and assured me that I
wouldn't be billed again (it will be hard for them to do it because
they don't have my current credit card number).

They were honest and refunded the money. But, I'd be a little
leary about what their tech support folks tell you. It might or might
not be right.

Of course, that's true for a lot of these companies. If I had
a nickle for every time some tech support guy told me something that
was wrong or took an action that was incorrect, I'd be a
multi-millionaire.

I use Registernames (http://www.registernames.com). They've
yet to tell me anything that was wrong and always seem to be in
control of what's going on. I can recommend them highly. And their
prices aren't bad at all.

Regards,

Fred

Fred

Fred Atkinson

Per Joe Mamma:

I used InterNic/VeriSign and wound up with a fradulent recurring charge on my
credit card some months later. Some blatently-BS service about "getting better
deals on certain goods and services".

They claimed that I had elected it as an option when I filled out
Internic/VeriSign's registration screens. No way Jose'.

You probably did click on something on that site that was in
'fine print', so to speak. But did you knowingly agree to it,
probably not. That's the way they do things these days.

I got an upgrade to Real Player. Suddenly, I notice that I am
getting a monthly recurring charge for some entertainment service that
they were providing. I got my credit card company involved and got
the matter straightened out. They credited my account.

Regards,

Fred

Joe Mamma

Anyone use godaddy.com to transfer domain to? Mine is running out and they
offer real good prices but as they say, you get what you pay for, thought
I would ask this group.
Thanks.
Thanks all, I plan to pick 'manual renewal', even if they go out of biz, do
they reserve my registrar for (ie. 5 years) in advance so I am safe anyway?
Thanks.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Joe Mamma:
you get what you pay for,

I used InterNic/VeriSign and wound up with a fradulent recurring charge on my
credit card some months later. Some blatently-BS service about "getting better
deals on certain goods and services".

They claimed that I had elected it as an option when I filled out
Internic/VeriSign's registration screens. No way Jose'.

Toby Inkster

Fred said:
Of course, that's true for a lot of these companies. If I had
a nickle for every time some tech support guy told me something that
was wrong or took an action that was incorrect, I'd be a
multi-millionaire.

Egads! You deal with *way* too many tech support people.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Fred Atkinson:
You probably did click on something on that site that was in
'fine print', so to speak.

I think more in terms of a checkbox that's defaulted to True and stragegically
placed (like at the very bottom of a page whose "Proceed" button is in view, but
whose "find print" is off the screen on, say, 1024x768.

Andy Dingley

Egads! You deal with *way* too many tech support people.

Maybe he deals with very few, but they not only lie, they do it
extremely rapidly.

By call-centre metrics, that would probably make them "employee of the
month".

Fred Atkinson

Per Fred Atkinson:

I think more in terms of a checkbox that's defaulted to True and stragegically
placed (like at the very bottom of a page whose "Proceed" button is in view, but
whose "find print" is off the screen on, say, 1024x768.

Exactly my point.

Fred

Andy Dingley

I think more in terms of a checkbox that's defaulted to True and stragegically
placed (like at the very bottom of a page whose "Proceed" button is in view, but
whose "find print" is off the screen on, say, 1024x768.

To bring this back on topic a bit for alt.html:

I use a job website at jobserve.co.uk Some agencies post their email
address here, others use a "fill in the web form to reply" approach.
After you've gone throguh the web form there's a set of four radio
buttons in a vertical column, offering options from "Just tell me about
the job" to "Spam the crap out of me forever". The adjoining column
contains four paragraphs of explanatory caption for each choice.

However owing to some poor HTML coding, the captions aren't aligned
vertically with the radio buttons. Use a small text size and they
shrink, so that the 4th caption (no spam today) is alongside the 3rd
button (yum, I like spam).

Incidentally, the agencies don't actually follow these requests - but
what else can you expect?