    When you were a child, if you did your own experiment
    to see if it was better to put to cocoa into your cup first
    or the hot milk first, then you likely have the programmer gene..
    Roedy Green, Apr 10, 2012

  2. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
    > Python Bulgarian phrase book.

    Indeed. :) This poem makes intensive use of long, nested sentences,
    which in English (even if the words and grammar *were* correctly
    translated) would still turn into some gibberish that doesn't
    sufficiently correspond to the German meaning.

    > I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have
    > a look at it [...]
    > see http://mindprod.com/politics/grass.html

    I've actually tried, but gave up after third paragraph.
    Mail me (with a replyable(!) address), if you're interested
    in the first three ones.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Apr 11, 2012

  3. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 4/10/2012 6:26 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > I have got over my head. You certainly have heard of Gunter Grass the
    > German author (The Tin Drum) Nobel prize winner.. You may have heard
    > he wrote poem warning of the danger of nuclear war between Israel and
    > Iran. I thought, with my one year of German and google translate I
    > could provide the poem both in English and German.
    >
    > However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
    > Python Bulgarian phrase book.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have a look at
    > it and at least correct the most outrageous errors.

    Even though we do have a few Germans here, then there are
    probably better groups than this.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 13, 2012
  4. On 10.04.2012 12:26, Roedy Green wrote:
    > I have got over my head. You certainly have heard of Gunter Grass the
    > German author (The Tin Drum) Nobel prize winner.. You may have heard
    > he wrote poem warning of the danger of nuclear war between Israel and
    > Iran. I thought, with my one year of German and google translate I
    > could provide the poem both in English and German.
    >
    > However, I suspect my translation is roughly of the quality of Monty
    > Python Bulgarian phrase book.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone who speaks English and German could have a look at
    > it and at least correct the most outrageous errors.
    >
    > see http://mindprod.com/politics/grass.html

    Grass wrote a lot of rubbish here - it's even questionable whether that
    writing is actually a poem. He's an old man and his time has long been
    over. I assume he is getting odd by now. He has played moral authority
    in the 20th century and accused people. I did not pay too much
    attention then (partly because I'm from a younger generation) but he
    completely made himself ridiculous when he - very, very late - admitted
    to have been member of the SS.

    I can understand your attempt to translate this for purposes of
    understanding - but I assume there are other translations around and I
    personally don't find it worthwhile to invest the effort.

    Btw, his stupidity is of course equaled by Israel declaring him persona
    non grata - that's giving him too much attention and a clear violation
    of DNFTT. Both parties meet here on the same - low - level.

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
    Robert Klemme, Apr 13, 2012