[O.T] SystemC benefits?

Jezwold

I know its off topic but I couldn't find a systemc forum.
What are the benefits for an engineer who uses vhdl and knows how to
program in C in moving to SystemC for simulation/synthesis?I get the
impression that systemc is very much a behavioural modelling system are
the synthesis tools better at behavioural synthesis than the current
vhdl tool sets? Is it suitable for use in all situations where vhdl can
be used or are there situations where one is better suited than the
other.Is the industry moving towards behavioural synthesis in general?
Most of the examples I have seen leave a lot to be desired.

Neo

I think systemC isn't actually intended for synthesis eventhough
constructs have been added for that prupose. its main purpose is in
raising the level of abstraction which helps in system modelling with
both hardware and software represented and verification at transaction
levels. I dont think anybody's using commercial tools offering
systhesis from systemc though some systhesizers are around which do
that from handleC and systemC.
Its not a replacement for VHDL or verilog, which will continue to be
used for describing RTL.

Jezwold

Thanks,its just that i had some guy wanting to sell me handelC which is
plain old C rather than C++ as systemC is but it claims to do the same
sort of things and I was just wondering how useful it might be.I think
some of the claims he was making for it were a little optimistic to say
the least