    obfuscate, but the users will need to extend behaviour.

    regards
    Pritam

    Pritam Kamat, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Pritam Kamat

    S. Balk Guest

    > I was wondering about the following scenario. You have a class library
    > which you then obfuscate. Is it then possible to extend methods in
    > classes in the obfuscated code ?
    > Does this just depend on the obfuscator ?

    It's a good idea not to obfuscate *puclic* methods and fields

    S. Balk, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Pritam Kamat

    pete kirkham Guest

    Pritam Kamat wrote:

    > Hi there
    > I was wondering about the following scenario. You have a class library
    > which you then obfuscate. Is it then possible to extend methods in
    > classes in the obfuscated code ?
    > Does this just depend on the obfuscator ?
    >
    > The use is in a scenario where I send out a class library i intend to
    > obfuscate, but the users will need to extend behaviour.
    >
    > regards
    > Pritam

    The three main 'obfuscatation' techniques are

    * remove local variable table- this will not prevent your users using
    your library, but will annoy them if they're using an IDE that uses this
    information to prompt them with the names when method arguments.

    * corrupt the names in the symbol table
    This should not be done on the interface methods. Otherwise this won;t
    have any effect on the users unless they have a debugger that can step
    into your bytecode.

    * obfuscate the program flow
    This will probably degrade the performance of your library and may make
    them want to use a different product.

    Of course, if you provide the source code of your library to your
    clients (with appropriate licensing safe guards) then it will be far
    easier for your users to debug their client code and they will also help
    find any bugs in your library.

    Your product will be more useful, your quality will improve, and (if
    your clientel are developers) the company you work for may be able to
    both charge more for your product and improve your market share.

    The company I work for absolutely will not use any 3rd party library
    that does not come with source code on any business critical system.

    Pete

    pete kirkham, Aug 8, 2003