    What obfuscators handle 1.5? Any comparisons of obfuscators out there?

    Thanks
    John
    JohnIGrant, Dec 23, 2005

  2. JohnIGrant

    SamProvencal Guest

    SamProvencal, Dec 23, 2005

  3. JohnIGrant

    Guest

    A Java Obfuscator should offer maximum protection against reverse
    engineering, as this is the main reason to buy an obfuscator.
    The obfuscator should rename Packages, Classes, Methods and Fields
    using aggressive obfuscator techniques
    The obfuscator should stop decompilers from producing usable results
    The obfuscator should use Advanced Control Flow Obfuscation
    String Encryption features should be included with the obfuscator
    Software watermarking is a feature offered by some obfuscator tools to
    help track piracy

    An obfuscator can improve code efficiency. Look for the obfuscator to
    provide Class and method level optimization to improve JIT performance.
    The obfuscator should also have Unused Class/Method/Field and constant
    pool entry removal. An obfuscator can also provide dynamically-loaded
    class (forname) detection

    Professional obfuscator models can support efficient Java code
    development and deployment. The obfuscator should versions up to 1.5.
    An obfuscator should provide Incremental Obfuscation
    An obfuscator should provide Automated Stack Trace Translation
    An obfuscator should provide Packaging into directories or jars
    An obfuscator should support packaging any type of Java - applications,
    libraries, applets, servlets, EJBs, etc.
    An obfuscator should support fJ2ME CLDC based profiles
    An obfuscator should recognize CLDC pre-verified library classes
    Obfuscator output should retain 100% pure Java and passes verifiers
    Obfuscator control should include command-line interface suitable for
    integrating into build environments.
    The obfuscator should include a comprehensive User's Guide
    The obfuscator should support for Generic Types and Methods
    The obfuscator should provide granular configuration.
    , Dec 25, 2005
  4. JohnIGrant

[...]

    The DashO java obfuscator http://www.preemptive.com is a reasonable
    choice as they focus on obfuscators
    , Dec 25, 2005
  5. <> wrote in message
    >A Java Obfuscator should offer maximum protection against reverse
    > engineering, as this is the main reason to buy an obfuscator.
    > The obfuscator should rename Packages, Classes, Methods and Fields
    > using aggressive obfuscator techniques
    > The obfuscator should stop decompilers from producing usable results
    > The obfuscator should use Advanced Control Flow Obfuscation
    > String Encryption features should be included with the obfuscator
    > Software watermarking is a feature offered by some obfuscator tools to
    > help track piracy
    >
    > An obfuscator can improve code efficiency. Look for the obfuscator to
    > provide Class and method level optimization to improve JIT performance.
    > The obfuscator should also have Unused Class/Method/Field and constant
    > pool entry removal. An obfuscator can also provide dynamically-loaded
    > class (forname) detection
    >
    > Professional obfuscator models can support efficient Java code
    > development and deployment. The obfuscator should versions up to 1.5.
    > An obfuscator should provide Incremental Obfuscation
    > An obfuscator should provide Automated Stack Trace Translation
    > An obfuscator should provide Packaging into directories or jars
    > An obfuscator should support packaging any type of Java - applications,
    > libraries, applets, servlets, EJBs, etc.
    > An obfuscator should support fJ2ME CLDC based profiles
    > An obfuscator should recognize CLDC pre-verified library classes
    > Obfuscator output should retain 100% pure Java and passes verifiers
    > Obfuscator control should include command-line interface suitable for
    > integrating into build environments.
    > The obfuscator should include a comprehensive User's Guide
    > The obfuscator should support for Generic Types and Methods
    > The obfuscator should provide granular configuration.
    > The DashO java obfuscator http://www.preemptive.com is a reasonable
    > choice as they focus on obfuscators

    Spam?

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Dec 25, 2005
  6. JohnIGrant

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Luc The Perverse" <> writes:
    >>The obfuscator should provide granular configuration.
    >>The DashO java obfuscator http://www.p(...)tive.com is a reasonable
    >>choice as they focus on obfuscators

    >Spam?

    There is no need to completely quote advertisements
    (unless you would get paid by the advertisers to do so).

    I would not have seen this message at all, if you would not
    have quoted it, because my message filter had suppressed it.
    Stefan Ram, Dec 25, 2005
  7. JohnIGrant

    Dave Glasser Guest

    `"Luc The Perverse" <> wrote on
    Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:38:00 -0700 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >Spam?

    If you look at the headers on the original post, you'll see this:

    And in the headers of the two followups that came along in minutes,
    you'll see:

    from "", and

    from "". The interesting thing is that they
    all contain this:

    posting-host=69.40.252.183

    which suggests that they all three originated from the same machine.
    So it looks like the two followups were sockpuppets on the hand of
    "".

    Personally, I don't think it would have been out of line if the guy
    just posted an announcement for his product. It is on-topic, after
    all.

    --
    "If you are seriously interested in fighting for a better world,
    begin by identifying the nature of the problem. The battle is

    --Ayn Rand,
    *Philosophy, Who Needs It*
    Dave Glasser, Dec 25, 2005
  8. JohnIGrant

    Joan Guest

    "Luc The Perverse" <> wrote
    in message news:43ae304a$0$7789
    <snip>
    >> An obfuscator can improve code efficiency. Look for the
    >> obfuscator to>> choice as they focus on obfuscators
    >>

    > Spam?

    I just read that in South Korea the folks like spam (the one in
    the tin.)
    When we were poor (long time ago) we used to get a meat product
    that
    resembled spam, but was much less tastey.

    Joan, Dec 27, 2005
  9. "Joan" <> wrote in message

    > "Luc The Perverse" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>> An obfuscator can improve code efficiency. Look for the obfuscator to>>
    >>> choice as they focus on obfuscators
    >>>

    >> Spam?

    > I just read that in South Korea the folks like spam (the one in the tin.)
    > When we were poor (long time ago) we used to get a meat product that
    > resembled spam, but was much less tastey.

    I think society's public sentiment against spam led to the invention of a
    new word, an acronym for unwanted advertising. The original acronym has
    been all but lost but the word itself persists!

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Dec 27, 2005
  10. JohnIGrant

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:18:55 -0700, "Luc The Perverse"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >I think society's public sentiment against spam led to the invention of a
    >new word, an acronym for unwanted advertising. The original acronym has
    >been all but lost but the word itself persists!

    SPAM was originally canned ham. It is popular in Samoa. Monty Python
    did a sketch about it where everything on the menu contains spam. That
    lead to its metaphorical use as something ubiquitous you can't get
    away from.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Dec 28, 2005
  11. Roedy Green wrote:

    > SPAM was originally canned ham.

    No. Canned ham is *not* canned SPiced hAM.

    >..It is popular in Samoa.

    I don't mind it here, either.

    Recently*, the English company that coined the word
    successfully stopped anti-spam software being released
    with the word spam in the name.

    * ..last year, or so?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci, javasaver, 1point1c, lensescapes - athompson.info/andrew
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 28, 2005
  12. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:58:25 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Recently*, the English company that coined the word
    > successfully stopped anti-spam software being released
    > with the word spam in the name.

    Apparently Hormel has failed in its attempt to stop Spam Arrest:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/hormel_spam_campaign/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/31/spam_ruling/

    However maybe you were thinking of this, where a self admitted spammer
    tried to launch a line of "spam king" clothing:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/17/spam_king_roasting/

    IANAL, but was under the impression that tradmarks were registered in
    various specific categories, and that infringement could only occur if
    there was a distinct possibility (or intent) of confusion between the
    offendor and the original, which to me hardly seems likely between a
    "meat" product and computer software or services.

    Quoting from the first Register article above:

    "When even legislation (e.g. the CAN-SPAM Act) uses the word spam as
    a generic term for unsolicited commercial email it is time to
    concede that a meaning, whether desirable or not, has become
    ingrained in the language."

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Dec 28, 2005