Obix language available

Christian Neumanns

Hello everybody,

A first experimental version of Obix is now available free of charge.

Obix is a new, high level, object-oriented programming language, designed
from the ground up to increase
- reliability
- productivity
- ease-of-use
of professional software development.

Obix runs on Linux and Windows. The compiler produces Java as target code.
Hence applications written in Obix run on multiple platforms.

Obix has built-in features which do not exist in most programming languages,
but which I consider as essential for creating reliable and maintainable
software, such as:
- programming with checks (like design by contract)
- built-in automated software testing
- default input and multiple output arguments
- favor for immutable objects
- prohibition of popular, but error-prone and unnecessary programming
techniques
and others

You can find much more information at www.obix.lu and download a version
running on Linux or Windows.

I would greatly appreciate getting feedback about things you like, dislike
or miss. Moreover, everyone interested to participate in an open-source
developer community is very welcome.

Dave Monroe

Christian Neumanns said:
[...]

Wonderful; another programming language.

How many times are we going to solve this problem? We're hip deep in
programming languages. Enough already.

Roedy Green

How many times are we going to solve this problem? We're hip deep in
programming languages. Enough already.

I created a new language, Abundance, where I was free to experiment
without getting anyone else's permission. It is great fun. The
problem came when I thought the world will beat a path to my better
mousetrap. That does not happen. However, these alternative
languages act as living experiments for new ideas. You may notice
that I push more new ideas for Java than average. I could not have
done that with such confidence did I not know the ideas were possible.

The alternative is to push for untested ideas that sound good on paper
or to stay stuck without innovation.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/abundance.html

Dave Monroe

Roedy Green said:
I created a new language, Abundance, where I was free to experiment
without getting anyone else's permission. It is great fun. The
problem came when I thought the world will beat a path to my better
mousetrap. That does not happen. However, these alternative
languages act as living experiments for new ideas. You may notice
that I push more new ideas for Java than average. I could not have
done that with such confidence did I not know the ideas were possible.

The alternative is to push for untested ideas that sound good on paper
or to stay stuck without innovation.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/abundance.html

I'm all for innovation. But there isn't a new programming language
that solves a problem that hasn't already been addressed years ago.

As for programming just for the heck of it, I enjoy it, I've done a
lot of it, and it's a lot easier if you become expert in a given
language that does 99% of what you want and stick with it.

I was a COBOL programmer who learned C who learned Perl who learned
Java.

I also picked up Korn shell and awk and some other experience with
obscure and esoteric stuff.

I'm getting sick of learning to do the same thing in a new language.