Obix language available

Discussion in 'Java' started by Christian Neumanns, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. Hello everybody,

    A first experimental version of Obix is now available free of charge.

    Obix is a new, high level, object-oriented programming language, designed
    from the ground up to increase
    - reliability
    - productivity
    - ease-of-use
    of professional software development.

    Obix runs on Linux and Windows. The compiler produces Java as target code.
    Hence applications written in Obix run on multiple platforms.

    Obix has built-in features which do not exist in most programming languages,
    but which I consider as essential for creating reliable and maintainable
    software, such as:
    - programming with checks (like design by contract)
    - built-in automated software testing
    - default input and multiple output arguments
    - favor for immutable objects
    - prohibition of popular, but error-prone and unnecessary programming
    techniques
    and others

    You can find much more information at www.obix.lu and download a version
    running on Linux or Windows.

    I would greatly appreciate getting feedback about things you like, dislike
    or miss. Moreover, everyone interested to participate in an open-source
    developer community is very welcome.

    Christian Neumanns, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Christian Neumanns

    Dave Monroe Guest

    "Christian Neumanns" <> wrote in message news:<40ceb661$>...
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > A first experimental version of Obix is now available free of charge.
    >
    > Obix is a new, high level, object-oriented programming language, designed
    > from the ground up to increase
    > - reliability
    > - productivity
    > - ease-of-use
    > of professional software development.
    >
    > Obix runs on Linux and Windows. The compiler produces Java as target code.
    > Hence applications written in Obix run on multiple platforms.
    >
    > Obix has built-in features which do not exist in most programming languages,
    > but which I consider as essential for creating reliable and maintainable
    > software, such as:
    > - programming with checks (like design by contract)
    > - built-in automated software testing
    > - default input and multiple output arguments
    > - favor for immutable objects
    > - prohibition of popular, but error-prone and unnecessary programming
    > techniques
    > and others
    >
    > You can find much more information at www.obix.lu and download a version
    > running on Linux or Windows.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate getting feedback about things you like, dislike
    > or miss. Moreover, everyone interested to participate in an open-source
    > developer community is very welcome.

    Wonderful; another programming language.

    How many times are we going to solve this problem? We're hip deep in
    programming languages. Enough already.

    Dave Monroe, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Christian Neumanns

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 19 Jun 2004 06:16:39 -0700, (Dave Monroe)
    wrote or quoted :

    >How many times are we going to solve this problem? We're hip deep in
    >programming languages. Enough already.

    I created a new language, Abundance, where I was free to experiment
    without getting anyone else's permission. It is great fun. The
    problem came when I thought the world will beat a path to my better
    mousetrap. That does not happen. However, these alternative
    languages act as living experiments for new ideas. You may notice
    that I push more new ideas for Java than average. I could not have
    done that with such confidence did I not know the ideas were possible.

    The alternative is to push for untested ideas that sound good on paper
    or to stay stuck without innovation.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/abundance.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Christian Neumanns

    Dave Monroe Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 19 Jun 2004 06:16:39 -0700, (Dave Monroe)
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >How many times are we going to solve this problem? We're hip deep in
    > >programming languages. Enough already.

    > I created a new language, Abundance, where I was free to experiment
    > without getting anyone else's permission. It is great fun. The
    > problem came when I thought the world will beat a path to my better
    > mousetrap. That does not happen. However, these alternative
    > languages act as living experiments for new ideas. You may notice
    > that I push more new ideas for Java than average. I could not have
    > done that with such confidence did I not know the ideas were possible.
    >
    > The alternative is to push for untested ideas that sound good on paper
    > or to stay stuck without innovation.
    >
    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/abundance.html

    I'm all for innovation. But there isn't a new programming language
    that solves a problem that hasn't already been addressed years ago.

    As for programming just for the heck of it, I enjoy it, I've done a
    lot of it, and it's a lot easier if you become expert in a given
    language that does 99% of what you want and stick with it.

    I was a COBOL programmer who learned C who learned Perl who learned
    Java.

    I also picked up Korn shell and awk and some other experience with
    obscure and esoteric stuff.

    I'm getting sick of learning to do the same thing in a new language.

    Dave Monroe, Jun 21, 2004