Object Expected error

Kiyomi

Hello,

I am trying to replace my alert message box with a popup page.

In my page behind,

Response.Write("<script> alert('" & MyMsg & "') </script>")

is working fine.

I created a javascript function DoDialog() in the HTML part of the same page
and tried to run it with

Response.Write("<script language='javascript'> doDialog() </script>")

Then I get Object Expected error. This code and the function are both on
the same page, and the name of the function is spelled out correctly. I
tried to put my function in an external file .js but the result was the same
(Object Expected).

On the other hand, when I call the same function within HTML page with
onclick="doDialog()", it works fine. If I call it from code behind page
using Button.Attributes.Add("onclick", "doDialog()") it works fine too.

Why this function cannot be recognised in Response.write? In fact, I cannot
use "onclick" to call this function because I have some complex checks to do
on the code behind page (using select case, different stored procedures,
etc.) after clicking the button and before running this function.

Marina

javascript is case sensitive. If the function is called DoDialog, that is
how you have to call it.

Also, if the code to run the function is streamed out before the function
itself, then the engine will not be able to find the function. But you
didn't post your page code, so it's really just a guess.

Kiyomi

Here is my HTML page. I would very much appreciate your advice.
<input onclick="doDialog()" > works well, but this is not really what I
really need.
I wish to call doDialog() from different places in the code behind page, for
example, using Response.Write("<script language='javascript'> doDialog()
</script>")

Thank you.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT language="javascript">
function doDialog()
{if (Form1.textError.value != "")
{
var x=showModalDialog('dcontents.htm', Form1.txtError.value,
'status:no;resizable:yes');
d1.innerHTML="The dialog box return value was: " + x;
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

<P>Enter your age :
<asp:textbox id="txtInput" runat="server"></asp:txtbox></P>
<P>
<asp:button id="Button2" runat="server"
Text="OK"></asp:button></P>
<P>
<asp:label id="lblError runat="server"
ForeColor="Red"></asp:label></P>
<asp:label id="lblConfirm runat="server"
ForeColor="Green"></asp:label></P>
<P>
<asp:rextbox id="txtError runat="server"></asp:textbox></P>
<P>
<input onclick="doDialog()" type="button" value="Create
Dialog"></P>
<DIV id=d1></DIV>
</form>
</HTML>

Marina

You showed the source code for your page - but not the page as it is when
streamed down as HTML.

Your Response.Write is writing out the call to doDialog at the very top of
the page. The function does not get declared until the <head> element. So
the problem is that you are trying to call a function that javascript does
not know about yet (this is what I suggested in the first post). I suspect
that this is the order that everything is getting streamed out as.

In which case, don't use Response.Write to stream the script out at the very
top of the page. Embed it someplace else after the head element.

Kiyomi

Thank you very much, Marina, for your advice.
I managed to make my popup work, using RegisterStartupScript as follows.
Now, I wish to retrieve user's response (OK or Cancel) and, depending on the
response, I wish to continue different processes.
Would you please advice me how I can do this ?

Thank you very much.

************* HTML page *************

function doConfirm(msg) {
var x=showModalDialog('Confirm.htm', msg, 'status:no;resizable:yes');
}

************* VB code behind page *************

Function CheckRules()

Dim msg as String
msg = "An error is detected. Do you want to continue processing ? "

If (Not Me.IsStartupScriptRegistered("Startup")) Then
Me.RegisterStartupScript("Startup", "<script>doConfirm('" & msg &
"');</script>")
End If

----- After running doConfirm(msg), this is what I wish to do --------

If doConfirm(msg) returns True (i.e., user clicks OK button)
Continue processing below
Else (i.e., user clicks Cancel button)
Return False
Exit Function