Object persistence

Marcel Balcarek

Hello,

I have a page (page1.aspx) that builds some complex .NET objects.
I successfully pass these objects to another different window (page2.aspx).
How can I persist these objects on a POST back of the same window
(page2.aspx)?

Thank you
Marcel

Ashish

Marcel said:
Hello,

I have a page (page1.aspx) that builds some complex .NET objects.
I successfully pass these objects to another different window (page2.aspx).
How can I persist these objects on a POST back of the same window
(page2.aspx)?

Thank you
Marcel
You can use the session object to store them, or you even better you can
store them in view state of the page itself, so that you dont have to
worry about server resources and stuff ..

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Marcel,

Static variables, Session variable, Application variable, Viewstate.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Marcel

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. Due to the size of the objects I am persisting, and
the low bandwidth some of my customers enjoy, I have decided to serialize
my objects and use the binaryFormatter, and then store them as byte arrays
in a general DB table that has an image column.

I discounted viewstate because of its sheer size (network traffic) - I
tested viewstate with a tiny object (2 Int32s) and it added about 3 lines to
my HTML output.
I discounted session variables because that solution is not scalable for
large amounts of data.

Other than initial setup effort, my solution should be ok no?

Marcel

From: "Marcel Balcarek" <[email protected]>
Subject: Object persistence
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:34:00 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hello,

I have a page (page1.aspx) that builds some complex .NET objects.
I successfully pass these objects to another different window (page2.aspx).
How can I persist these objects on a POST back of the same window
(page2.aspx)?

Thank you
Marcel

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Marcel,

That should work fine. It's worth mentioning that if you are not making
heavy use of Session state otherwise, you can use SqlServer Session state
and make this process automatic and much easier to implement. Bear in mind
that if you ARE making heavy use of Session state elsewhere in your app,
you will see performance degradation if you move from InProc to SqlServer
mode for Session state.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support