Object reference error in ASP.NET application using ADODB.dll

just_jt

We've got an application that was developed in classic ASP several
years ago that this year we decided to move to ASP.NET as we made some
enhancements. However, we elected to continue using classic ADO for
some complex parts where we didn't have time to convert to ADO.NET and
other parts where other COM objects we were using expected Recordsets.

Everything went very smooth through development and testing.
We use the same Win2000 server for both staging and production and the
project worked very well in staging.
For our move to production, we copied the project files and dlls from
the staging environment into a new production folder and added it as a
new virtual directory in IIS. However, ADODB doesn't work in the
production site. The same code works great in the staging site on the
same machine, but not in production. Initially we were getting this
when we tried to create and add parameters to an ADO command object;
in our testing and debugging we've tried eliminating the parameters
but still are getting errors as soon as we try to use the recordset.

Its almost like the staging site is finding ADO, but the production
site is getting a corrupted copy of it. Could we be choking because we
have two sites running the same project DLLs with the same names?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? any ideas of how to solve
it?
We've checked MDAC versions, all the same between development and the
staging/prod servers; so what could be causing this?
Error message follows below:

Any help would be appreciated - we're currently thinking we might need
to add a separate server for production to make all this work. (Which
would really be an excessive waste!)

Thanks -- Jim

Server Error in '/Yr2004' Application.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

object.]
OEAReports2002.ucGen_Graph.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)