Object references from aspx to C# ?

mAbZ

I have trouble getting an object reference from aspx to c# code.
I have 2 controls created in an aspx page:

<MyNamespace:MyControl1 ID="ctrl1" runat="server" ParentWindow="<%# this %>"
/>
<MyNamespace:MyControl2 ID="ctrl2" runat="server" Args="<%# ctrl1 %>" />

I also have 2 corresponding classes with their public properties
ParentWindow and Args respectively.

The objects "this" and "ctrl1" are instantiated but while
debugging I see that their values in each property setter are null.
The instantiated object "stays" so to speak on the aspx page.
Why? I would appreciate any ideas.

P.S.
Instatiating those objects in C# instead is working but is not an option,
I need to do it like above.

bruce barker

as you are using databinding expression, your control has to support
databinding or be inside a control that databinds its children, and you
have to call databind() on the control.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

mAbZ

Ok, so I should call DataBind()in constructor and
have an OnDataBinding()method, right?
I would call base.OnDataBinding()and that's it?
Or should something more happen there in that method?

Thanks for the answer! :)