    I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
    for object or is it just an xml hype?

    , Jun 13, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
    > for object or is it just an xml hype?

    I use XML serialization because
    it's no more difficult than binary serialization,
    I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,
    I can manually edit the serialized data
    I can transform serialized data using XSL
    I worry less that changes to Java will invalidate the serialization
    It transfers easily across HTTP
    I usually (but not always) don't care that it might be larger or a
    little slower

    Cheers,
    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Matt Humphrey, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Matt Humphrey wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
    >> for object or is it just an xml hype?

    > I use XML serialization because
    > it's no more difficult than binary serialization,
    > I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,
    > I can manually edit the serialized data
    > I can transform serialized data using XSL
    > I worry less that changes to Java will invalidate the serialization
    > It transfers easily across HTTP
    > I usually (but not always) don't care that it might be larger or a
    > little slower
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Seconded, plus:

    it allows for schema evolution (i.e. should we later change the class,
    we can easily change the XML to suit the new version).

    Its JVM version independent.

    Andrew McDonagh, Jun 13, 2006

    Matt Humphrey wrote:
    [...]
    > I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,

    [...]

    Not that you'd often want to, but that capability sounds good :)

    -Thufir

    , Jun 14, 2006