object tag, browsers...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html

    The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...

    But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!

    Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 19, 2006

  2. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    >
    > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    >
    > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    > silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    > unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!
    >
    > Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    > changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    > faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    > this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    > with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted..

    Using the simple object tag you use just does not work on all browsers,
    and the response to it has varied with browser upgrades over the past
    few years.

    Try a m3u file and put a link to that on your page. I have a m3u file
    for a midi at http://www.cwdjr.net/sou/cancan.m3u . This just directs
    to http://www.cwdjr.net/sou/cancan.mid . It is linkable, so feel free
    to play around with it on your test pages. The Winamp, WMP, Real, and
    QT players can all play a midi, although the Real player may ask you to
    download a small plugin the first time you call for a midi. I have made
    Winamp primary for m3u files, but you could just as well make one on
    the other players primary, or be bothered by the browser asking you
    what player to use every time a m3u file comes up. This approach worked
    on the latest versions of IE6, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera as
    well as the old Netscape 4.8. On the Netscape 4.8 you had to tell it
    what to use and navigate to winamp.exe to bring up Winamp, but that was
    no problem.

    You can force the song to be played by any of the mentioned 4 players
    by first bringing up the player and selecting to enter the URL of the
    m3u directly from the player. This sometimes comes in handy for
    testing.

    This approach brings a player up, but it can be minimized with a click,
    if desired. The advantage is that there is a set of controls. Moreover,
    you can add several other songs to the m3u playlist if desired.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 19, 2006

  3. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    >
    > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    >
    > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    > silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    > unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!
    >
    > Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    > changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    > faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    > this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    > with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

    I agree with cwd jr. The best way is to use an .m3u file directing to
    the music file desired. Objects can be objectionable.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 19, 2006
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    > >
    > > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    > >
    > > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > > Mozilla, iCab ...

    > Using the simple object tag you use just does not work on all browsers

    OK, how do you sophisticate the tag to make it just play in
    modern browsers? It is ok, I could research this, but if you
    know, I would be obliged.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 20, 2006
  5. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme wrote:
    > > > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    > > >
    > > > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > > > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > > > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > > > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    > > >
    > > > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > > > Mozilla, iCab ...

    > > Using the simple object tag you use just does not work on all browsers

    > OK, how do you sophisticate the tag to make it just play in
    > modern browsers? It is ok, I could research this, but if you
    > know, I would be obliged.

    See my pages that can be reached at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .

    You can usually embed the player at any size you wish or hide it. In
    most cases you can use an ordinary object that often contains several
    parameters. In a very few cases you may have to provide an ActiveX
    object path for IE browsers only if you want them to stream rather than
    download. If you think that some of this gets complicated, you are
    right. We now have a media player and format war that makes the old
    browser war seem tame on comparison. This is to be expected for media.
    We also now have a format war for the new high definition DVDs just
    beginning to appear.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 20, 2006
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    >
    > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    >
    > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    > silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    > unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!
    >
    > Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    > changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    > faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    > this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    > with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...

    Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
    by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
    plugin?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 20, 2006
  7. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    > > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    > >
    > > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    > >
    > > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > > Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    > > silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    > > unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!
    > >
    > > Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    > > changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    > > faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    > > this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    > > with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...
    > >

    > Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
    > by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
    > plugin?

    The original also works for me in the most recent Firefox and Mozilla
    browsers, but not in Opera. The object tag used for the original has
    not worked on some IE variants in the past such as MSN - they would
    give you a popup that the code might be harmful! However after sp2 and
    countless updates, IE browsers have changed somewhat in how they
    respond to this sort of thing. Of course IE likes ActiveX for this sort
    of thing.

    It is quite possible to have a problem with a QT plugin on Firefox. I
    had one for which QT would try to play files, but would not. I had to
    do clean uninstalls of both QT and Firefox to get rid of the problem.
    Of course with a clean uninstall, you had best have everything of
    importance on the browser backed up.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 20, 2006
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:

> [...]

    snip

    > See my pages that can be reached at
    > http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .
    >
    > You can usually embed the player at any size you wish or hide it. In
    > most cases you can use an ordinary object that often contains several
    > parameters. In a very few cases you may have to provide an ActiveX
    > object path for IE browsers only if you want them to stream rather than
    > download. If you think that some of this gets complicated, you are
    > right. We now have a media player and format war that makes the old
    > browser war seem tame on comparison. This is to be expected for media.
    > We also now have a format war for the new high definition DVDs just
    > beginning to appear.

    Thank you. Did not want to step into any kind of war! Sounds like
    heavy work for the harmless purpose my piano music served [1] but
    I will take a look in case I need to include stuff for a paid job
    (please God don't anyone ask me to include multimedia for now...)

    I was looking at a friend's PC (Windows 2000) and the simple
    object mark up did not work in his IE but did simply in his
    Firefox. On my Mac IE it worked fine.

    1. Mainly private site for friends, clear provided link to turn
    music on or off by the dorayme proprietorial method: link saying
    'piano music', goes to same looking page but with piano music,
    page has 'stop music' link which goes to same looking page but
    with 'no piano music' link.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 20, 2006
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <43f9ecb9$0$25090$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > http://dorayme.150m.com/test/piano.html
    > >
    > > The midi sound file just plays fine in IE (Mac) 5. That is, it
    > > just plays, there being no visual items generated from the object
    > > tag. It even plays in Netscape 4 but with this old browser, there
    > > is a discrete tiny control visual for vol, stop, start...
    > >
    > > But not in any of my modern browsers on Mac OS X like Safari,
    > > Mozilla, iCab .... does anything soundlike happen. These do
    > > silence extremely well mind you! In Safari, the QT logo -
    > > unwelcomed - comes up big and that's it!
    > >
    > > Any ideas about how to make the browsers play the sound without
    > > changing the mark up? But, I will change the mark up and fiddle
    > > faddle about if I have to. One can see from simple examples like
    > > this the great strength and beauty of the older IE, it could bend
    > > with the wind, intuitively just do things one wanted...
    > >

    > Works in my Moz 1.7.12 & FF1.5.0.1, it only a MIDI file so it is handled
    > by the QuickTime (I use QuickTime_Alternative) Plugin. Problem with your
    > plugin?

    Yes, this did cross my mind re Safari... I can generally work
    these things out or use other browsers. But most people would not
    know a plugin from a font. Generally speaking if you go into home
    after home, you will see that very few folk have their plugins
    right! That is my experience at least. I am pleased and surprised
    when I see things in multimedia simply work on other people's
    computers.

    The main thing is it seems my simple 'object' mark-up falls way
    short of reliable across browsers in the real world. Pity. (As it
    happens, it was for a very light unimportant private site purpose)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 20, 2006