ObjectDataSource and GridView

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eiriken, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Eiriken

    Eiriken Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I am using ASP.NET 2 and trying to bind a objectdatasource to a
    gridview. By doing this the most common way by adding an
    objectdatasource to the page and by using the wizard to connect to my
    business logic everything works fine. The problem is that I find this
    quite limited and I need to do some custom work with the parameters, so
    I am trying to code everything by hand in the code behind.

    >From a security perspective, its not good at all to use the

    ControlParameter without any kind of verification of the input (for
    example
    from a TextBox). Thats why I want to handle all parameters manually.

    I have a GridView called "Vacancies". In the code behind I code my
    ObjectDataSource and connects it to the GridView. The code below is
    inside of an Onclick-event of a button named "Search".

    ObjectDataSource dsVacancies = new ObjectDataSource();
    dsVacancies.SelectMethod="SearchVacancy";";
    dsVacancies.TypeName="BusinessProcess.Vacancy";

    dsVacancies.SelectParameters.Clear();
    dsVacancies.ID = "dsVacancies";

    dsVacancies.SelectParameters.Add(new Parameter("countryId",
    TypeCode.Int32, "1"));
    dsVacancies.SelectParameters.Add(new Parameter("provincesIds",
    TypeCode.String, ""));
    dsVacancies.SelectParameters.Add(new Parameter("branchId",
    TypeCode.Int32, "0"));
    dsVacancies.SelectParameters.Add(new Parameter("freeText",
    TypeCode.String, FreeText));

    JobAdSearchResult.DataSource = dsVacancies;
    JobSearchResult.DataBind();

    I expected the GridView to populate the search result, but nothing
    happens. No error message nor any data rows. I know that my
    businesslogic works as I have filled my GridView without the
    ObjectDataSource like this:

    BusinessProcess.Vacancy vacancy = new BusinessProcess.Vacancy();
    Vacancies.DataSouce = vacancy.SearchVacancy(1, "", 0, "");
    Vacancies.DataBind();

    But I want all the great functionality the ObjectDataSource provides.

    What do I miss? I would appreciate if someone could point out some
    mistakes in my code, or even better provide a complete example.

    Thanks !

    Eirik

    Eiriken, Jan 19, 2006