ObjectDataSource Binding Before I Need it

Jason Wilson

I have a gridview that is using an objectdatasource that is calling a
BLL class that wraps a Typed dataset. The objectdatasource has
parameters that tied to page controls (textboxes, dropdowns ect) I
had always thought that the Objectdatasource wouldn't bind while the
gridview's visible property was set to false, but I'm experiencing
timeouts when the page is initially loaded when the objectdatasource
tries to bind without the necessary user input to filter down the
results and before I make the gridview visible.

Can anyone suggest a way to prevent the objectdatasource from binding
untl the user has filled in the form?

Thanks,

Jason

Just Me

I doubt if the visibility is the issue, but you could easily test this by
making it visible.

Jason Wilson

I'm not sure what you mean. I was saying that I tried to prevent the
premature binding of the objectdatasource by making the gridview not
visible. I was mistaken that would do the trick. So now I am trying
to find another way to prevent the ods from binding before the form is
filled out.

Just Me

Ahh, ok. What sort of timeouts, are these SQL timeouts ? Can you get an
exception message ?
where exactly is this failing.

If its breaking at a particular line, you should be able to get more
information

Stan

I have a gridview that is using an objectdatasource that is calling a
BLL class that wraps a Typed dataset.  The objectdatasource has
parameters that tied to page controls (textboxes, dropdowns ect)  I
had always thought that the Objectdatasource wouldn't bind while the
gridview's visible property was set to false, but I'm experiencing
timeouts when the page is initially loaded  when the objectdatasource
tries to bind without the necessary user input to filter down the
results and before I make the gridview visible.

Can anyone suggest a way to prevent the objectdatasource from binding
untl the user has filled in the form?

Thanks,

Jason

Dear Jason

When binding the ObjectDataSource to the GridView with the
DataSourceID property you have no control over when the binding
occurs.

If there are problems because of (intially) null parameter values then
set the "DefaultValue" property of each parameter to something
meaningful (DefaultValue is used when the actual parameter source - in
this case a web server control - has null content).

HTH

Stan

Dear Jason

When binding the ObjectDataSource to the GridView with the
DataSourceID property you have no control over when the binding
occurs.

If there are problems because of (intially) null parameter values then
set the "DefaultValue" property of each parameter to something
meaningful (DefaultValue is used when the actual parameter source - in
this case a web server control - has null content).

HTH

Oops, slight correction

When binding the ObjectDataSource (or any other type of DataSource
control) with the DataSourceID property of controls like GridView,
FormView etc, then you have no control over when the *automatic* data
binding occurs.

You can however force it to occur manually with the DataBind() method.
This will cause the data binding to occur in addition to when it
happens automatically.