ObjectDataSource '---' could not find a non-generic method 'Update'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nir.Hazan@gmail.com, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    When I try to update my GridView I get the error:

    ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not find a non-generic
    method 'Update' that has parameters: CustomerID, EmployeeID, OrderDate,
    RequiredDate, ShippedDate, ShipVia, Freight, ShipName, ShipAddress,
    ShipCity, ShipRegion, ShipPostalCode, ShipCountry, original_OrderID.

    Details:
    VS2005 C# website.
    GridView is bound to a ObjectDataSource1.
    ObjectDataSource1 is bound to a xsd Typed Dataset (dsOrders.xsd).
    dsOrders has a DataTable and a TableAdapter to SQL Northwind / Orders
    Which uses stored procedures created OK by the wizard

    All is done without coding. Just Drag and Drop.

    The grid shows the data, and deletes rows OK.
    Only update errors.

    Please help.
    NH. (-:

    , Dec 29, 2005

  2. RE: ObjectDataSource '---' could not find a non-generic method 'Updat

    When using an ObjectDataSource, there is still a small amount of coding
    necessary to roundtrip. The Update() method is one of these items. I am just
    getting back into the GUI for a project, so I am not familiar if there is a
    way to simplify this in VS, but coding a method is teh best option I know of.

    If you want to roundtrip data with pure drag and drop, consider on of the
    other "source" objects, like SqlDataSource or AccessDataSource. If you are
    doing some form of ORM, you have a bit of plumbing to complete.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Dec 29, 2005

    Re: ObjectDataSource '---' could not find a non-generic method 'Updat

    This is a behavior test to find out what is the best method to work
    with data.
    Writing my own DAL classes will do a cleaner job but they will require
    far more manual coding.
    On the other hand, pure drag and drop is much quicker, but if its a
    no-go, who needs is anyway?
    Is this the case?

    , Jan 2, 2006