ObjectDataSource Refresh Schema Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by yisroem@gmail.com, Jul 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi Everybody,

    I am just getting to grips with ASP.NET 2.0. as per my reading I
    understand that it is possible for a data control (such as the
    GridView, DetailsView etc.) to reflect upon the object that it is
    connect to, and refresh its columns according to the properties of the
    object.

    In reality, though, when I connect the ObjectDataSource to an object
    (VB Class) and then select Refresh Schema on the smart tag I get an
    error message stating:

    The schema of type 'Songs[]' could not be retrieved.
    Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

    I should state that I have tried this with various control and object/
    class combinations with no luck. I also do not seem to find a single
    post about this specific error message in Google groups, nor on the
    web. Am I so odd? <g>

    I did find some complaints about a similar issue when someone makes
    changes in the underlying object or table, and the changes are not
    reflected in the data control. I, though, am having this problem from
    stage 1.

    I've seen a suggestion to close and reopen the designer page, didn't
    work either. Neither closing Visual Web Developer 2005 and reopening.

    Another point: when I go to 'Edit Columns' or 'Edit Fields' in the
    data control's smart tag, I do not get a DropDownList of the class'
    properties for the column's/field's DataField property.

    I will appreciate any and all leads in solving this problem.
    Thankfully,
    Yisman

    , Jul 4, 2007